icon

95 Blazer whats the trick? radio removal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobileinstallat 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
1995 Chevy Blazer, I've been doing it the hard way most likely. I never remove the dash piece totaly from the dash, never flexed it enough to get it out from behind the steering wheel/shifter. just loosen everything,drop the climate controles out of the way and bend the dash trim from the right side, to slide the radios in and out.
My question is , is there an easier way to remove the dash piece? thats everyone else doing?
just wondering,
Thanks men
Mark
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

I always just remove the whole thing cuz it's so much easier to pull the stock head unit out when the trim is not just hanging there; also it makes it easier to install the aftermarket dash kit and head unit.  And I'm paranoid that if I leave it hanging there I'm gonna make a sudden movement or something and accidently break the trim.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
mobileinstallat 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
OK whats your method/procedure for totaly removing it?
Thanks,
Mark
Xplocivic 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
I always take the whole thing off.  The trickiest/scariest part is getting the bezel over the hazard switch mounted on the top of the steering column.  Bust that off and you are looking at a $450 replacement. Ouch!  One of my newer installers busted one a couple months back, it sucks.  The customer had to shove a piece of cardboard in the hazard switch just to shut it off so he could drive without the hazards on.  If you are careful and patient you can pull it off without causing any damage.  When pulling it off, pull out the top (over the gauges) before you try to go over the hazard switch.  You'll have to pull on it good to get it to come out from under the top of the dash above the gauges.  And put the shifter in 1st gear if its column shifted.  Good luck.
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
i hate that car, why does it all have to be one unit? why cant it just be a small piece covering the HU.
Xplocivic 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Because its a GM.  Most GM's are that way.  Fords and most imports have the best setups, in my opinion.  Set of Ford keys and the radio just slides right out (most of the time).  As far as imports go, I really like using the factory brackets for the majority of the installs, just makes things so much easier.  Neons are also a very easy setup.  I can do a deck install in a Neon in under 5 mins.  And that includes wiring the harness and mounting the kit.
wrenchmnky 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
I work out at the GM Desert proving Grounds in Arizona.  What we do is tilt the wheel down, put the shifter in 1st,  roll out the top for the trim from the dash,  at the same time watching the hazard switch, rocking left to right on the bottom to CAREFULLY  roll over or around the switch.  Take your time your not in a race.  If there till isn't enough room loosen the colum bolts on the bottom side underneath the dash.  Hope this helps95 Blazer whats the trick? radio removal -- posted image.
Very Simple:94 Chevy Silverado ext cab with, kdc322 head unit, kdcc719 disc changer, kenwood x689 excelon 3way 6x9's in rear, alpine 4x6 2way in dash, mtx thunderform sub under rear seat.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic