the12volt.com spacer
icon

451M DEI module with a 3rd party alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prince504 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2017 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
If I wanted to use the 451M DEI module with a 3rd party alarm with (-) door lock/unlock wires, and the vehicle had a Type A (+) door lock system, how would I wire it up?
Thnx
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2017 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Cut the Pin 3 connector off and connect the Green wire to the R/S units (-) Lock wire, the Blue wire to the R/S units
Unlock wire and the Red wire to +12 Constant.
Follow the 451M Type A wiring diagram. Here it is :
WHITE/ Black not used
GREEN/ Black to vehicle (+) Lock wire
Violet/Black and Violet     to +12V through the 15A fuse
BROWN / Black not used
Blue/Black   to vehicles (+) Unlock wire
Soldering is fun!
prince504 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2017 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
kreg357 wrote:
Cut the Pin 3 connector off and connect the Green wire to the R/S units (-) Lock wire, the Blue wire to the R/S units
Unlock wire and the Red wire to +12 Constant.
Follow the 451M Type A wiring diagram. Here it is :
WHITE/ Black not used
GREEN/ Black to vehicle (+) Lock wire
Violet/Black and Violet     to +12V through the 15A fuse
BROWN / Black not used
Blue/Black   to vehicles (+) Unlock wire
Thnx for the explanation.
Also, in your professional experience do you prefer to use the 451M module or two SPDT relays when dealing with (+) door locks? And I noticed on some of your pictorials, you use small relays that I assume can't carry as many amps.
What brand or type of relays are those? Such as the model or where to purchase them and what scenarios do you usually use lower amp relays?
Thnx
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
The 451M is a nice compact module. I use them when I'm in a hurry and/or need the resistors for a one wire system
The small relays I use can handle 10 Amps. That is typically enough for any door lock system. They are very small and
fairly cheap when bought in quantities of 50+. The down side is soldering on the wires, which takes time and a good solder
technique. They can be found on EBay, search on "+12V mini relay", for around $0.50 each in lots of 50. These relays are
good for simple voltage conversions, 5-wire isolation, or just making a (-) pulse stronger.
Using 30/40 Amp SPDT relays with the 5 wire harness for your project is fine but is bulkier than a 451M and overkill on the
current handling needs.
Soldering is fun!
prince504 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2017 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote prince504
kreg357 wrote:
The 451M is a nice compact module. I use them when I'm in a hurry and/or need the resistors for a one wire system
The small relays I use can handle 10 Amps. That is typically enough for any door lock system. They are very small and
fairly cheap when bought in quantities of 50+. The down side is soldering on the wires, which takes time and a good solder
technique. They can be found on EBay, search on "+12V mini relay", for around $0.50 each in lots of 50. These relays are
good for simple voltage conversions, 5-wire isolation, or just making a (-) pulse stronger.
Using 30/40 Amp SPDT relays with the 5 wire harness for your project is fine but is bulkier than a 451M and overkill on the
current handling needs.
Great info. Thnx for the examples.
jap1975 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2017 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jap1975
I used 5 pin relay which are bulkier than mini relay advantage is no soldering we can use relay socket. But Kreg for most unlock motors do you think 10 amp is sufficient I dont think so because motor need to force lock cable or stick up down which requires force and motor requires more current and also a 30 or 40 amp will do good than this micro solderable relay.
Hi doing myself will bring great happiness and satisfaction even at the cost of time.
kreg357 
Posted: January 21, 2017 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
jap1975 wrote:
I used 5 pin relay which are bulkier than mini relay advantage is no soldering we can use relay socket. But Kreg for most unlock motors do you think 10 amp is sufficient I dont think so because motor need to force lock cable or stick up down which requires force and motor requires more current and also a 30 or 40 amp will do good than this micro solderable relay.
You are correct in stating that the 10 Amp Mini-Relay in not capable of handling the current needs of an after-market 4 lock system or directly connecting to multiple lock motor wires. These add-on systems are typically fused at 15 Amps, like the DEI 451M module. The mini-relay is able to handle one or two lock motors. When adding power locks to a car, I use a kit that includes the controller with internal relays and it is fused at 15 Amps. My comment about the mini-relay was really directed towards interfacing vehicles that had factory power locks. In the states, some GM vehicles have (+) power lock wires and some Dodge and Ford products have one-wire multiplex systems. The 10 Amp mini-relays works great in these applications. It is rare to directly control a door lock by connecting to the lock motor wires.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic