the12volt.com spacer
icon

2008 dodge ram remote start issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gibbo5 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2017 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gibbo5
Hi all, i am installing an Avital 4105 remote start kit with a PKUMUX bypass module, i have all the wires connected as shown in other threads on here and in the instructions for the bypass, have used relays for the locks and the accessory wire, but the truck will crank, start, run for 3 secs then shut off, when i go through the remote start diagnostis it gives a Low or No RPM, low battery code. I habe checked voltage at 12v cables and have 26v from both the main 12v connection coming straight from the battery via a 30amp fuse to the main supply for the remote start module and the 12v wire from the ignition to the relays and the bypass module, also have 30v from the tach wire used, are these normal or have i missed something? Any help would be much appreciated.
kaezoo 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2017 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kaezoo
Don't read too much into the shutdown diagnostics: in this case it's most likely just telling you that the remote starter detected that the engine failed to start. In other words, the remote starter shut down because the engine wasn't running, not the other way around.
Were you able to complete the programming for the bypass module using two original keys, as detailed in the PKUMUX instructions?
What happens if you leave a key in the ignition (don't turn it on) and activate the remote start?
Measuring 26v on the 12v connection and 30 volts on the tach wire doesn't make any sense. Are you certain about these measurements?
gibbo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2017 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gibbo5
I tried remote starting this morning with the key in the ingnition but not on as you said to try but same issue occured so pritty sure the bypass is working ok,and i followed the instructions carfully as it told me i could only program it once so didnt want to tash the bypass. I tried changing the setting in the remote start to voltage and tach but it made no difference.
As for the volt reading thays what i got on the meter,admittedly im not great with using one but had it set to V and 200.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2017 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
Meter should be set at Vdc setting 20. Test the reading at the battery terminals to verify its function.
Next, List all of your connection from both the remote start and the bypass, to what on the vehicle. That way we can have a picture of what was done.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
gibbo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2017 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gibbo5
Apologies for late reply have been away with work so not had access to the wiring diagram I drew up. Below is the list of all the connections I made.
Battery -
1.     Bypass Module (BM)      - Red Wire to Light Blue/Red Ignition Harness (IH).
2.     Remote Start Module (RSM) - Red Wire to Positive Terminal Battery Via Inline 30amp Fuse.
Ignition –
1.     BM – Pink Wire to Pink/White IH
2.     RSM – Pink Wire to Pink/White IH
Ignition 2 – Not Present on This Truck.
Accessory - RSM Orange wire to Violet/Brown IH Via Relay.
1.     Pin 30 – Violet/Brown MUX Wire BCM Side of Cut.
2.     Pin 85 – RSM Orange Wire.
3.     Pin 86 – 12v Constant Light Blue/Red IH
4.     Pin 87 – Ground With Inline 610ohm Resistor.
5.     Pin 87A - Violet/Brown MUX Wire Key Cylinder Side of Cut.
Starter 2 – Purple RSM Wire to Purple BM wire.
1.     BM Diagram States “If there is no starter output in the vehicle, connect this wire directly to the remote starter’s starter wire.”
Tach – RSM Violet/White Wire to Dark Blue/Grey Wire on Orange Plug at PCM Passenger Side    Firewall.
Brake Shutoff – RSM Brown Wire to WHITE/ Light Green at Brake Pedal.
Horn – RSM Brown Wire to Dark GREEN/ Violet Steering Column Harness.
Status – RSM Blue Wire to BM Blue/White Wire.
Disarm – RSM Light GREEN/ Black Wire to BM Blue Wire.
Ground – All Grounds Required Connected to Ground in Drivers Kick Panel.
Data –
1.     BM Violet/Black Data In Wire to Violet/Brown MUX Wire Key Cylinder Side of Cut.
2.     BM WHITE/ Violet Data Out Wire to Violet/Brown MUX Wire BCM Side of Cut.
Power Unlock – RSM Blue Wire to Violet/Dark Green Drivers Kick Panel Via Relay.
1.     Pin 30 – Violet/Dark Green With Inline 330ohm Resistor.
2.     Pin 85 – 12v Constant Light Blue/Red IH.
3.     Pin 86 – RSM Blue Wire.
4.     Pin 87 – Ground.
5.     Pin 87A – Not Used.
Power Lock – RSM Green Wire to Violet/Dark Green Drivers Kick Panel Via Relay.
1.     Pin 30 – Violet/Dark Green With Inline 820ohm Resistor.
2.     Pin 85 – 12v Constant Light Blue/Red IH.
3.     Pin 86 – RSM Green Wire.
4.     Pin 87 – Ground.
5.     Pin 87A – Not Used.
Hope this is makes sense to everyone.
gibbo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gibbo5
Did anyone have a chance to take a look at the wiring list I posted?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
my information is limited to whats on this site but it does say that you have a second ignition wire like i thought. its been a while since ive done one of these rams trucks but ive done a ton of them, in just trying to remember if there was anything else that the diagram is not saying. these days the bypass modules will actually operate the accessory and starter since they are both the same wire. also im pretty sure that the violet/brown started also uses resistor, this is how the truck tells itself to start because it will sense the change in resistance from accessory to start. you say it will crank so i might not be remembering exactly right, but you do need to power up the second ignition wire which is pink/green. try this, do the same test as you did before with trying to remote start it with the key in the ignition but this time actually turn the key but dont start it just turn the ignition to the on position and then try remote starting the truck. if it starts and runs then you are missing something at the ignition harness and it will most likely be that second ignition.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2017 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 28, 2017 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote soundnsecurity
also this is a little trick i always use on newer cars to avoid having problems with the tach wire and voltage sensing, if you go into the settings there is a setting called "engine checking" i always turn this off completely because your truck starts and runs itself automatically by computer control. turning this setting off means that the remote starter wont look for a tach or voltage signal, it will just send the signals to start.
gibbo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2017 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote gibbo5
Thankyou for all the pointers, i did see that the truck did have a second ignition but that wire isnt present at the ignition harness.will try changing the settings in the remote start and the trick with the key and see what happens,tha ks again.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic