the12volt.com spacer
icon

96 Tahoe (GMC Yukon) remote start issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skyjacker07 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote skyjacker07
I'm installing a viper 5305v system in a 96 Tahoe, I've triple checked all my connections and I can not get the remote start to turn over the ignition, it powers every and even applies power to the wire of the starter but it won't turn over. Any help would be appreciated.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
Can you list the wires you connected, Color/Function.
Two ignitions listed. Are both powered?
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
skyjacker07 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote skyjacker07
Yes, RED / black, red, red white are all connected to constant 12v constant. Pink is going to Tahoe's pink ignition 1, pink/white is going to tahoes pink/white second ignition wire. Green to key side of starter , violet to starter side. Orange to accessory orange on Tahoe.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2017 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
What color is the starter wire? There is two listed. Did you test the wire for starter function?
Put a meter on the violet wire during remote start to check for voltage.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
tdbaker021 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2017 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tdbaker021
skyjacker07 wrote:
I'm installing a viper 5305v system in a 96 Tahoe, I've triple checked all my connections and I can not get the remote start to turn over the ignition, it powers every and even applies power to the wire of the starter but it won't turn over. Any help would be appreciated.
Check and make sure the connections below are connected.
BLACK/ White: (-) PARKING BRAKE/EMERGENCY BRAKE INPUT
This input wire connects to the parking brake/emergency brake wire in the vehicle. This wire must have a
ground for the remote start to operate.
Gray: HOOD TRIGGER INPUT
This input wire is used to trigger the alarm when the vehicle’s hood is opened. It will also prevent the remote
start from activating if the hood is open.
Brown: (+) BRAKE SHUTDOWN INPUT
This input wire connects to the (+) foot brake wire in the vehicle. When connected the remote start will be
disabled or shutdown anytime the foot brake pedal is depressed.
skyjacker07 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2017 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote skyjacker07
Emergency brake input is grounded, hood pin wire is not connected for the Time being so it's showing the system that the hood is closed. The starter wire is connected correctly, I did test the wire for the starter for function and it does indeed function. Everything is for the remote start is connected or grounded. It even applies power to the starter wire but doesn't turn the truck over. If you hold a meter on the starter wire while activating the remote start it shows it's applying power.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Seeing as the "Tahoe" as we know it today (smaller version of the Suburban) wasn't available until 1997, I think you're working on an S-series "Tahoe", which should be a Chevrolet as "Tahoe" is a trim level for Chevrolets, but maybe you have a GMC? The Chevrolet has a column shift, and the GMC has floor shift. There is a difference in the way the starter circuit is configured. On a floor shift the starter wire is yellow at the ignition switch. On a column shift the starter wire is purple at the ignition switch.
You say you see 12V from the R/S, but it does not crank. If you jumper +12 Volts directly to your "starter wire" connection, does it crank? If = NO, you're not on the correct wire. Or you have the "starter side" and "key side" of the correct wire backwards.
skyjacker07 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2017 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote skyjacker07
It claims to be a Tahoe, possibly in trim, it is a column shift. I did indeed verify that too. I used my power probe and apply direct power to the starter side and it would turn over, the starter wire is indeed yellow, I applied the probe power to the side with the violet wire attached and it turned over.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
You still didn't confirm if this is a full-size (C/K, R/V) or small size (S/T). Look at the 6th character in the VIN.
Column shift with a yellow wire means there is another "device" further along in the starter circuit. Perhaps a starter-interrupt relay associated with VATS or PASSKEY? 1996 is right on the beginning of the use of these systems in GM trucks. The starter wire becomes purple on the final run to the starter. Without knowing what you're working on, I can't look up the specific particulars. There are differences between full size and small size trucks in 1996.
skyjacker07 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2017 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote skyjacker07
Well, turns out I've been working on a 96 GMC Yukon, it has a custom paint job, and a different front clip so all identifying markers have been removed.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic