the12volt.com spacer
icon

Golf Cart Battery Charger Modification

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pv13 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2017 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pv13
My dad has a 1993 Club Car 48 Volt golf cart and just recently moved it into his local golf course for storage. The problem he is having is that the charger plug doesn't reach the outlet, and they don't allow extension cords. So I want to hard wire a longer cord into the charger. The charger currently has 14 awg 3 wire set up with the hot wire going to the fuse holder, neutral to the circuit board with a female spade terminal, and ground to the casing. It looks like the charger is rated with an input of 115v/18amps and an output of 48v/25amps.
The current length of wire is only 2 feet, but he needs about 15. So can I replace all the connections with a new 15 foot cable with the same wire gauge, or do I need to switch it up to 12awg? And if I do that are there any other concerns I might have with things like current or blowing fuses? I'm pretty new to alternating current :).
I would appreciate any help you guys could give me. Thanks
canada chris 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2018 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote canada chris
hi. i see this older post and i wanna make this reply. i am new here and this is my first posting...
firstly i dont know why they have 14awg on the 115v 18 amp input side you described because i heard houses have 14awg in the walls to the wall plugs from the fuse panel and that is only good for ABOUT 15 amps "BRAND NEW" [barely safe at 1500 watts long term in my amateur opinion] and the math 115volts X 18amps = 2070 WATTS YIKES!!
personally, because you are increasing the length from 2 feet, i would look at what gauge is on the 48 volt 25amp side and use the same wire or larger.
[here is a fun theory i have just to exhibit what an amateur i really am LOL..= "since ac ramps up and down and reverses each cycle, it seems to follow that if two wires are said to have 18amps flowing in them but one is ac and one is dc wouldnt the dc wire be "warmer" at the same 14awg size because the dc wire never gets a break from constant current flow?"
have a great day
a little critical thinking ahead of time can save you a lot of layers of skin and pints of blood
pv13 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2018 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pv13
Thanks for the reply and welcome to the forums! Yeah, the 14awg was strange. It looked like the previous owner modified it to make the length only 2 feet, and then decided to use a thinner gauge wire with 14awg. I decided to upgrade to a 10awg extension cord and solder in the connections. Better safe than sorry. Thanks again Chris. I am still very much an amateur myself :).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic