the12volt.com spacer
icon

Install LED - two triggers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luck11 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2017 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote luck11
Hi everyone,
Been a while. I have a Mazda 3 2013, and installed some LED light strips in the front bumper. I want them on with ignition, but cannot find a wire anywhere that will work, and search on forums for IGN wire has proven unsuccessful. It seems finding one in the Mazda 3 is difficult, and not interested in tapping into a major harness nor trying to run a wire through the firewall to the cabin.
what I have found, is the headlight harness. However, there is no one wire that will ensure the strips are on in ALL the headlight control settings (eg. parking lights setting, auto, headlights full on, or DRL mode).
Note that this car has two separate bulbs for hi and low beams. Also note that the hi beams double as DRLs when the rest of the lights are off.
I currently have them hooked up using a standard 4 pin auto relay, using the low beam wire as the trigger. However, the LEDs will not work whenever the headlight switch in the cabin is on AUTO. For those who may not know, AUTO basically adjusts the lights based on the light outside:
- When it is light out (daytime), the hi beams come on at 50% power as Daytime Driving Lights
- When its darker out (night), the system automatically turns on low beams and all parking lights etc.
So, essentially, I need to use two triggers, the low beam wire and the hi beam wire. The kicker...the low beams stay on when the hi beams are turned on.
Could this be hooked up with a 5 pin relay, or am I looking at at a more complicated procedure? I get basic wiring hook up, but this is beyond me and I am at a loss.
thx.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2017 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
You have ignition wires going to the fuse box in the engine compartment....
Also, it would take 10 minutes to pull an ignition wire from the dash through the firewall to your led's..
Gary Sather
luck11 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2017 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote luck11
Can you let me know where I can find an ignition wire in the fuse box? I have not had any luck, and it seems that others have had difficulty as well.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2017 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
Pull your owners manual. 21-22 in the engine fuse box are ignition circuits.
Gary Sather

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic