the12volt.com spacer
icon

LED in a circuit with alternating polarities

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
croyfer 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2017 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote croyfer
Hello.
I am builing a project that simplified is a dolly moving on a track.
When the dolly reaches the end of the track, it triggers a microswitch that cuts the power to the motor, and redirects the power to a LED to light up to indicate that the switch has been triggered.
My problem is that since the motor controller I am using changes the polarity of the motor to make it go left or right, I am getting positive _and_ negative voltage every other time. (depending on if the dolly is moving right or left).
I have tried to use a 12V relay to trigger and light the LED, but the problem with that is that the relay needs at least 6 volts to latch, and when the motor is running slow, the motor controller only provides 3-4 volts.
Is there anyone that has a sollution on how I can make this work? I am just starting to fiddle with electronics, and I am on a bugdet with this build, so therefore: Is there a relatively easy fix for this problem? Are there relays out there that has a latch range from 3V to 12V?
Attatched is:
1: Schematics of the circuit with the LED (and resistor) connected directly to the microswitch. The problem here is that every other time the positive and negative switches.
LED in a circuit with alternating polarities -- posted image.
2: Schematics of the circuit with a relay attatched to the 2nd output of the microswitch. The problem here is that the relay need 6 volts to latch, and the motor controller doesnt provide that at slow speeds.
LED in a circuit with alternating polarities -- posted image.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2017 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
When the dolly is at the end of the track does it bump into anything or is it very near anything? If so I would think a mag or magnetic switch or a proximity switch would be ideal here.
Gary Sather

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic