the12volt.com spacer
icon

cant figure out the issue with Amplifier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffsb1985 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2017 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jeffsb1985
Looking for some help figuring out if my amp is actually shot and i need a new one, or if their is something i can do. run down of my set up:
2 DD 1512A D4 12 inch subs- 300-600 Watts Power band, 2400 burst power watts, 4 ohm DVC wired in parallel for 1 ohm load i believe
Hifonics Brutus BRX2400.1D 1 ohm stable. 1/0 gauge power and ground. grounded to floor pan in trunk, all paint was grinded off and bolted down   all terminals hydraulic press crimped on.
Line out converter tapped into rear pass speaker with remote sense turn on due to the fact i want to keep factory radio functions
vehicle - 2016 kia sorento 4 cyl.
system had been in my car for a while. over a year, and in my old car for 2 years before that. never gave me any issues.. in the 4 years ive owned this setup it has maybe went into protect twice maybe. all of a sudden driving around one day the subs started thumping, like a heart beat. constant rythmic pop.. only way to stop was to pull the fuse.
now when my key is on and engine off, my amp and subs play perfectly. sounds great, can let it run for 30 min no problem, but as soon as i start the engine, the popping comes back, i have tried removing the rca, the LOC, all amp settings down to minimum. still does it. i have re done all power and ground wires, replaced fuse and fuse holder. ran a 18 ft 1/0 g wire and grounded amp back to battery, still does it. with only the + and -, with 1 sub hooked to output, and remote jumped with a wire from the power, still pops, everything else disconnected. the amp does not seem to get very warm and it will stop as soon as i shut the car off, amp stays for about 60 seconds after i remove key. is their any way to bench test the amp to see if its an internal problem? i dont want to order another $300 amp just to have it do the same thing and not be the issue. any help would be appreciated.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2017 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
What is the voltage at the amplifier when the vehicle is running?
cant figure out the issue with Amplifier -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 03, 2017 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
And then what is the voltage with the volume turned up to the point of it making the noises.
c0ryp1 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2017 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote c0ryp1
you can do a simple bench test buy removing your battery(or using a second battery if you have one laying around) make sure it is fully charged wire up only the battery to the amp also advise to connect a multi-meter to battery to measure voltage do not let it drop below 11v(most amps i have seen with a low voltage cutoff around 10.8 IME). using a rca to 3.5 mm headphone jack play a clean track off of a music player (mp3 player cellphone ect).(step1) start with your cross over all the way up (250hz on yours) play a track with gains all the way down see if you hear the popping(step 2) if there is no popping slowly increase gains to no more then 3/4 gain (1 oclock position is safer to avoid clipping about 60% gain) again listen for popping if there is no popping shut off amp an allow battery to recharge for a while. repeat steps 1 and 2 while decreasing low pass 10-20% for each test until you reach what you had it set to in your car. once you reach that setting and if you were using bass boost leave the lowpass and gain where you were reciving a clean single in the last of your tests. now just repeat tests slowly increase bass boost until you hear popping(again 10-20% with each test).
ideally you should also do this complete test at 4ohm(series-parallel) 2ohm(single sub parallel) and 1ohm(all parallel) to also test if its a impeadence issue.
if the amp passes the bench then hook back into your car and repeat test again feeding with your phone if there is no issues your wiring is ok. next would be to repeat test with your LOC
also using your Multi-meter measure each voice coils IME a 4ohm coil will read 2.3 ~ 3.2ohms on the meter.(do this step first)
i hope you fine the issue. but it sounds like a ground loop problem
all test are to be preformed at your own risk (going too high on the gains can cause severe clipping that could damage your amp/subs, as well as low voltage can cause ill effects)
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
c0ryp1 wrote:
you can do a simple bench test buy removing your battery(or using a second battery if you have one laying around) make sure it is fully charged wire up only the battery to the amp also advise to connect a multi-meter to battery to measure voltage do not let it drop below 11v(most amps i have seen with a low voltage cutoff around 10.8 IME). using a rca to 3.5 mm headphone jack play a clean track off of a music player (mp3 player cellphone ect).(step1) start with your cross over all the way up (250hz on yours) play a track with gains all the way down see if you hear the popping(step 2) if there is no popping slowly increase gains to no more then 3/4 gain (1 oclock position is safer to avoid clipping about 60% gain) again listen for popping if there is no popping shut off amp an allow battery to recharge for a while. repeat steps 1 and 2 while decreasing low pass 10-20% for each test until you reach what you had it set to in your car. once you reach that setting and if you were using bass boost leave the lowpass and gain where you were reciving a clean single in the last of your tests. now just repeat tests slowly increase bass boost until you hear popping(again 10-20% with each test).
ideally you should also do this complete test at 4ohm(series-parallel) 2ohm(single sub parallel) and 1ohm(all parallel) to also test if its a impeadence issue.
if the amp passes the bench then hook back into your car and repeat test again feeding with your phone if there is no issues your wiring is ok. next would be to repeat test with your LOC
also using your Multi-meter measure each voice coils IME a 4ohm coil will read 2.3 ~ 3.2ohms on the meter.(do this step first)
i hope you fine the issue. but it sounds like a ground loop problem
all test are to be preformed at your own risk (going too high on the gains can cause severe clipping that could damage your amp/subs, as well as low voltage can cause ill effects)
c0ryp1, errr... No, No, No! And no, this is not a ground loop problem, nor does it sound like one.
jeffsb1985, please do not attempt to do any of this. Please let us know what your voltage readings are as we requested before attempting anything.
cant figure out the issue with Amplifier -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic