the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Subwoofer Wiring Using Single and Dual Voice Coils

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2017 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
From your quick response, I take it you did not read the entire thread.
You are not robbing efficiency from the speaker by running one voice coil.
Facts are not opinions. And science is not based on opinions.
Yes, this is an internet forum, however, we have many professional members here. If you take the time to read through the threads in the two links I posted, you should be able to recognize who is qualified and who is not.
Subwoofer Wiring Using Single and Dual Voice Coils - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
magicmike33 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2017 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote magicmike33
Yes you are right the way I wired them it came out to be 3ohms on each side of the box
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2017 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
With one single 4 ohm and two dual 4 ohm voice coils wired to an amplifier channel, whether in parallel, series, or a combination of both, you will always have one woofer getting twice as much power as the other. Attempting to connect all of them to a mono amplifier, one pair will always receive twice as much power as the other, hence my suggestion to use only one voice coil on each DVC woofer with the SVC woofers. If you have two amplifiers or two channels with separate gain controls, run the SVC woofers on one and the DVC woofers on the other if you want to use all voice coils on the four woofers you have now.
Subwoofer Wiring Using Single and Dual Voice Coils - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2017 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote DYohn
You know what's silly? Arguing with a car audio professional on a car audio forum especially where the professional OWNS the forum. :)
Support the12volt.com
series vii 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2017 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote series vii
"...There are 2 reasons we use dvcs In car audio one is for expanded wiring options but the second that comes into play is powerhandeling capabilitys. When you wire a sub in parallel you are changing the gauge of wire it's the same as running 2 runs of power cable to amps it allows for more current to flow each wire is carrying half the current effectively changing gauge".
Can anyone explain how this is even remotely possible?
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 07, 2017 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wirewise
series vii wrote:
"...There are 2 reasons we use dvcs In car audio one is for expanded wiring options but the second that comes into play is powerhandeling capabilitys. When you wire a sub in parallel you are changing the gauge of wire it's the same as running 2 runs of power cable to amps it allows for more current to flow each wire is carrying half the current effectively changing gauge".
Can anyone explain how this is even remotely possible?
It's not possible. c0ryp1 has been misinformed and/or simply does not understand what a dual voice coil is.
~wirewise~ Verify all wiring with your meter before making any connections!
steveaich 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2021 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote steveaich
This is the thread I've been searching for. I have as kicker in its own ported box and its 4ohm dvc and I have 2 svc 4 ohm subs in a qbomb ported box. My pioneer gm d9701 mono block had the rms to push all 3. This is my first build and I'm overwhelmed by the videos and can't grasp how I wire them.
steve h.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic