icon

system info please

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaymes 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
Hello. I am insatalling a system into my car and i am new to car stereo's. So far i have the headunit. What i want in  the front is 2 componant speakers on each side and 2 6X9's in the rear. In the trunk 2 12 woofers. Now my question is for amplifiers. I need to know the basic way to set up my system before i buy anything else. eg amps - channels etc. THe headunit has 4 rca outputs. thank you
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

what's the brand/model# of your head unit?  And does it have 4 pairs of RCAs?  OR just 2 white RCAs and 2 red RCAs?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
jaymes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  

its got 2 white and 2 red. + one yellow for video but i am wondering about audio.

esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2003 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

Most head units that have two sets of preamp outputs like yours, usually have one set for the front, and one set for the rear.  A few head units let you decide whether or not to have the rear set be fading, so that you can hook up a subwoofer amp to them.  Without knowing the model number of your head unit I don't know for sure if it has this feature, but you can still hook it up the other way just keep in mind if it's faded to the front you lose the bass.

For the speakers (1 set of components + 1 set of 6x9s) you'll want to get either a 4 channel amp with preamp outputs as well as another amp for the subs, or a 5 channel amp to power the speakers and the subs.  5 channel amps are usually kinda expensive but they are all in one unit so it saves space and makes for a cleaner install.

The reason I said if you get a 4 channel amp to get one with premp outputs, is because you'd already be using both sets of outputs from your head unit for that amp, and so you'd need some way to send a clean signal to the sub amp.  Unless you want to buy a crossove or use y-adapters, getting an amp with the preamp outputs built in is the best idea.

Or if you were to get a 5-channel amp it would just use the 2 sets of outputs from the head unit for all of its signals, and it sends a low frequency output to the subs, and full range sound to the main speakers.

Most speakers are  4 ohms and all amps can handle that kind of load; however, for the subs you'll want to make sure you get some that can be wired up to maximize the sub amp's (or the 5-channel amp's sub output channel's) power output.

For example, if you were to get two 4-ohm SVC subs you could wire each one to a separate channel of a 2-channel amplifier, or for most class d mono amps, you could run the two subs in parallel for a single 2 ohm mono load.  Most 2 channel amps will put out the maximum amount of safe power at either a 2 ohm stereo or a 4 ohm mono/bridged load..

Another possible configuration would be if you got two 4-ohm DVC subs.  These can be wired up as a single 4 ohm mono load, and so you could use a less expensive 2 channel amp to push them.

There's a whole bunch more about this but a good place to start for the basics is the Crutchfield web site.  I know a lot of people on here hate crutchfield because their prices are usually a lil more than most other places, but still they are an EXCELLENT starting point to learning more about key product features and what to look for in your equipment.

Also if you're interested in some more technical details/science for car audio you can check out this site--one of the best I've found online.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
jaymes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
hello. what do you suggest doing with regards to 2 subwoofers. They are 4 ohm impedance. Should I bridge a 4 channel amp or just use a 2 channel amp? what are the pros and cons of each system? Any information would be greately appreciated.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
First, are you talking about two 4ohm SVC or DVC subs?
If they are two SVC subs, then between a 2 or 4 channel amp I'd suggest a 2-channel amp running 1 sub per channel at 4ohms (but this is still not your best option).
Most ClassAB amps (regardless of 2/3/4/5 channel) are 2ohm stereo stable, but not 2ohm mono stable. So if you bridge a 4ohm mono stable amp with a 2ohm load then you run a risk of either shutting down or frying the amp.
So, my suggestion is to look at a Class D or BD Mono amp that is stable at 2ohms. Wire the SVC's in parallel to produce the 2ohm load. The amp will perform more efficiently and Class D amps were specifically designed for subs (whereas class AB amps were made for mids/highs as well).
What's the make/model of your subs and we can suggest some good class D amps that would match them.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
jaymes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Well the subs are 2 Kenwood KFC-W3005 12" 175 wats rms each. What kind of amp do you suggest? (channels/wattage etc/????
esmith69 
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

How much money are you willing to spend on it?  I know I'll get flamed for this, but I say bring it on flamers!system info please -- posted image.  lol

If you're not looking to spend much money you might wanna think about either the Profile California CA400M ($129.99) or CA600M ($149.99), both available from Crutchfield.  The 400M gives you 320 watts RMS @ 2 ohms, so that translates to about 160 watts RMS per sub; the 600M gives you 420 watts RMS @ 2 ohms, translating to 210 watts RMS per sub.  First off let me say I never liked Profile's Baja series products, but I am a strong believer in their California series amps, especially if you're not looking to break the bank.

Some people say they sound like crap and that is absolute BS, especially when you're talking about subwoofers, low frequency sounds, and (relatively) small amounts of power.  Other people might just tell you that they're "crap" but no one ever seems to offer any good reason why they think they're crap.  Maybe because some of their Baja stuff is not all that great, so people assume the same for the California amps?

I should point out that not only do you they come with a 3 year warranty, but I have had mine (which came with just a 2-year warranty) for about 5 years now and it has been through hell and back and it's still working in my van to this day and it sounds awesome.  I've told the tornado story so many times on this forum that I won't bore all you regulars with it yet again; but my point is that these amps are built solid and will last you a very long time.

Also if you think about it, I don't think that Crutchfield would offer these amps with a 3-year warranty unless they felt VERY confident that they would last at least that long.  After all, the last thing they want is a bunch of unhappy customers and returned/defective products.

Okie also you might consider one of the JBL Bp amps, probably the BP300.1 (300 watts RMS @ 2 ohms, translating to 150 watts RMS per sub) which can be had on Ebay for really good prices.  As always though, be careful who you buy from on Ebay and make sure they honor the manufacturer's warranties (many do not!).

Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com
D148l0 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2003 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
esmith69, I dont care! i would like to read the tornado story... system info please -- posted image.  I have read a lot of old posts trying to learn stuff, but never saw that one...   (if you don't wanna write it again, give me a link to it, please)...    and yes, sometimes those brands make very good products. I recently posted about a planet audio system that was really something...
d148l0
esmith69 
Posted: June 06, 2003 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

Only too happy to recall the tornado story...the whole thing would take hours to tell but I'll give you the short version (yes this is the short version lol):

few weeks after 9/11 I was at umd going to school there, living on campus, and we had a tornado go right through our community and the big student park lot where my van had been parked.  I had a pioneer deh-46dh, and 4 pioneer aftermarket speakers I had installed, that were in the car, remarkably I was able to salvage all of them, and they are still in use to this day (in another vehicle of coursesystem info please -- posted image..)  Also I had a Profile 4400 2-channel amp mounted to the back of the Jensen dual-10" bandpass sub box.  The subwoofer got sucked out of the car and landed some 20 feet away (didn't find this info out until a week or so later and by that time it was in the trash undoubtedly), but when I got to the car the day after the tornado, the amp was still hanging out of the rear windshield opening, just dangling by its power and ground connections.  I sure am proud of those connections hehe.

Every window in the car was gone except the safety glass windshield, the whole car was soaked and mildewy and there was glass everywhere.  It was a minivan but after the tornado it was a station wagon, but by some miracle the whole dash section of the car was pretty much untouched, as were all 4 speakers!  All I did to the amp was take it back to my dorm along with the other equipment, I removed the bottom cover plate and put it in front of a fan for a few hours just to air out any moisture that had undoubtedly accumulated in there.  Aside from a couple scratches which could barely even be seen, the amp looked to be fine.

Even though the 6x9s still had water sitting in the little plastic mounting surround thing when I took them out, they ended up being fine and up until about a year ago I had been using them in a 96 caravan (same size equipment all around as the old van).  The pioneer head unit I STILL use to this day, only now it's pushing kenwood 5.25s in the dash, the pioneer 5.25s from the old van in the doors (specially mounted by me:-D), kenwood 6x9s in the rear side panels, and rockford 3.5s in the tweeter pods.  lol all off the pioneer head unit--the same one that was in the tornado.  And the profile amp has NEVER skipped a beat, never shut down on me, never overheated, never given me anything but great bass (hooked up to a thunder 6000 now).

I think if the amp can survive an F3 tornado then it can survive pretty much anything, and has obviously done just that.

Oh and just a word of advice to people....don't try to climb inside a totalled car that has broken glass everywhere...lol yea I cut my hands up pretty badly.  But hey I salvaged all my stereo stuff!!! lol oh yea and my CDs and the radios faceplate were fine cuz I had taken those out the last time I parked the car.

Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic