the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 4706 unlock works, lock won't click relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaredp 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2017 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jaredp
Hello,
I am installing a Viper 4706 in a 1993 Mitsubishi Pajero, which requires a ground signal to lock/unlock.
The unlock command will engage the relay without issue. The unlock signal wire from the control unit goes to Relay 85, 12V is on 86, and the relay will click on unlock.
The lock command is wired identically, the lock signal wire from the control unit goes to Relay 85, 12v is on 86, and the relay does not click on unlock. In fact, the control unit will basically ignore the unlock command altogether. I can see on my remote the control unit seeing the lock command and replying without changing it's armed status.
Any idea here? I think that my control unit is just faulty. But this is my first installation, so it could be me.
Another possibly related issue is that after I had pressed the lock button with my vehicle running, when I removed my key, the control unit started it's remote start sequence. I cancelled it. Now whenever I turn the ignition on and then off quickly so that I can get into the control unit options menu, the control unit will automatically start it's remote start sequence, and I cannot get into the options menu.
Thanks for any help guys.
jaredp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2017 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jaredp
I cannot edit my post, but I'd like to clarify that this line should read:
The lock command is wired identically, the lock signal wire from the control unit goes to Relay 85, 12v is on 86, and the relay does not click on lock. In fact, the control unit will basically ignore the lock command altogether. I can see on my remote the control unit seeing the lock command and replying without changing it's armed status.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2017 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Ground the lock relay at 85. If that works you have a faulty unit.
If not with a DMM,set to 20VDC, red probe to 12V+, black to 85 press lock on remote, if you get a momentary 12V+ the unit is OK.
Make sure the relay is getting 12V+ at 86.
jaredp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2017 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jaredp
Grounding 85 does the same, no click. I measured the voltage and it metered at exactly 0.7 volts. Really confusing.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2017 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
You might have blown the circuit if you didn't diode across the relay coil, 1N4004, band side to 86, Google back EMF/relay squelch etc. in relays.
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2017 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Assume your supply to 86 is tested and OK?
jaredp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2017 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jaredp
I measured the voltage from the lock output to ground and it was giving me the 0.7V before I tried using the relay. But I guess either way the control unit is busted.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2017 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Stop analysing, check voltage at 86, if still 12V+ then the relay is at fault if it doesn't click when you ground 85.
Test before coming to meaningless conclusions and perform the tests I already mentioned, the unit failure rate is around 1/10,000.
jaredp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2017 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jaredp
I just tested, the relay will click if it has a known 12v and a ground on 85 and 86 respectively.
It will not click with either a known ground or 12v on 86 with the lock output on 85.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2017 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
So it's the unit. Last test, DMM set to 20VDC. disconnect unlock wire from relay; red probe to 12V+ black to wire, press unlock on remote, you should see 12V+. If unit is faulty you'll get nothing,
If so you've damaged the unit because you didn't used diodes across the coils.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic