icon

Pairing Subwoofers with Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tim86 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2017 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all, I need opinion's on pairing 2 subwoofers with an amp I have, and want to make sure they are a good pair, so I'm looking at these.
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_13610W0V34/JL-Audio-10W0v3-4.html and I want to pair two of these with this amp. https://www.cerwinvegamobile.com/products/mobile-audio/amplifiers/xed-amplifiers/xed1000.1m
I'm also gonna wire them to my amp for a 2ohm load. I just want to know if this setup would be ok.
tim86 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2017 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
I can't edit my post to switch my links to hyperlinks, but here they are. I'm a newb at forums lol.
Subwoofer
Amplifier
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2017 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Look into the JL jx500/1d It retails for 200 dollars. It is class D and twice the power of the Class A/B amplifier you are looking at.
tim86 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2017 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I already own the cerwin vega amp, I just wanted to make sure it would be good for the jl audio Sub's I am looking to buy, I have an Alpine MRV-1005 amp that has a power resistor blown and I want to get it sent out for repair, so I found that cerwin vega amp on ebay for cheap just to replace the alpine for now until I get it repaired, if it doesn't cost too much to fix lol.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2017 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Those speakers will work fine with that amplifier.
tim86 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2017 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks, I might consider getting the JL jx500/1d, I'm assuming you mean $200 us, it's around $400 Canadian from what I can see.
tim86 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2017 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
I also own a boss CXX1002 would that amp work with 2 jl audio 10W0v3-4, and how should I wire them? Should I bridge them, or wire them to each channel, but I don't think that's gonna work because it's 2 ohm per channel, but bridging is 4 ohm, but I haven't seen any wiring diagrams for this combination, but I seen that there's a diagram for wiring 2 4 ohm DVC subs to a 4 ohm load but not for SVC subs, is it safe to wire 2 4ohm SVC subs to a 4ohm load, sorry I'm a little confused with this, and can only afford to buy Speakers but I wanna match them with the Boss amp I have that's in another car because it's got more power than the cerwin vega amp.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2017 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you use the Boss amp you'll have to wire one 4ohm sub per channel(not bridged) at 188W RMS according to Boss website.
It is not possible to wire 2 4ohm speakers together to a 4ohm load (only 2ohm or 8ohm).
If I had those amps I would use the CV amp wired 275w@2ohm because it's a higher quality amp and will most likely produce a cleaner output and is probably underrated where the boss is most likely overrated.
The JL jx500/1d would be a good amp for those subs.
why are you so set on those subs if you don't already have them? would you consider a different sub that would match the CV amp better?
What are your plans for a box?
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
tim86 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2017 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
I ended up ordering 2 of these pioneer's
And I figured the boss amp was alot more powerful than the cerwin vega, the boss website has the amp listed at 375w rms per channel, and the cerwin vega is listed at 275w rms into 1 channel, but I guess the boss amp may not be rated at that? Heres the links for the sites I'm getting the ratings from, boss amp CV Amp now since Im getting 2 4 ohm dvc subs it would be better to use it with the boss amp and wire them into each channel instead of bridging the amp and I should wire the subs for a 2 ohm load each correct? Or should I stick with the cerwin vega amp even though it's listed at a lower rms rating, but I don't get why they wouldn't rate the Amps properly, am i missing something? I'm still learning about matching Amps with subs and on a tight budget and wanna get the best out of what I already have, until I figure out my alpine amp I have which needs repairing, and the subs will be in a ported box and I believe it's 2.4 cu ft.
tim86 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2017 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
I went with the pioneer's because they were cheaper since I can't spend much at the moment, and they had really good reviews and also on sale, and I just realized I can't wire them subs for a 2 ohm load for the CV amp unless I wire them for a 4 ohm load but that amp only puts out 175w rms on a 4 ohm load so it's gonna be trying hard to push them subs and not sound good correct? so the only amp I have right now that is powerful to push them is the boss amp but like you say they over rate it? Why would companies over/under rate there Amps? Kinda frustrating when trying to match subs with Amps, anyways I already have a ported sub box, that has 2 jvc strobo subs and one of them is blown now and I had them for awhile with my alpine MRV-1005 powering them but the amp needs repair and I got the cerwin vega as a replacement for now, but then one of my jvc subs blew, so I was gonna get the jl's at first but I had to go cheaper, so I went with the pioneer's instead, so should I still use the CV amp or the boss amp for my setup?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic