the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Need two starter outputs, only have one?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spadz93 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2017 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote spadz93
Hey everyone, gonna be installing the viper value 2 way 4205v kit and a flashlogic FLCAN in the girlfriend's '15 WRX. Just looking over the wiring diagrams, and I noticed something. The wiring diagram calls for two starter outputs on the viper kit to go to two separate wires on the ignition switch. However, as i'm looking at the pinout for the viper kit, I only see one positive output for the starter. Should I just "Y" the one starter output from the viper onto the two wires at the ignition switch? There are also some negative starter outputs on the module, should I run one of those to a relay to supply a second 12v to the second wire on the ignition switch?
Wiring diagram is type 2 on the flashlogic diagram.
http://www.acsdistributors.com/uploads/techinfo/viper/manuals/Responder%20One%20Install.pdf
https://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/DL-SUB3/FLC-AL(DL)-SUB3-EN_20170721.pdf
bogucki 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2017 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote bogucki
yes you need to use the (-) starter wire from the viper to a relay to make a 2nd (+) starter wire make sure to fuse it, do not Y the viper main starter wire, subaru has the starter wires separate for a reason.
boguckialex
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2017 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Never ever join the two starter wires, the second may be simply a cold start enrichment device, if so you'll do expensive damage to the engine management.
And diode the relay, feed back will damage your unit.
Here's a typical diagram:-
E67_ssr.bmp
spadz93 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2017 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote spadz93
howie ll wrote:
Never ever join the two starter wires, the second may be simply a cold start enrichment device, if so you'll do expensive damage to the engine management.
And diode the relay, feed back will damage your unit.
Here's a typical diagram:-
E67_ssr.bmp
Any specific diode specs? or since it's a ground signal, any will do?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2017 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
200 volts on the back EMF, use a 1N4004, it's enough and it's the most readily available.
An alternative is to place the diode between 85 and 86, band to 86.
When a relay shuts down, it can send that 200 volts back to your RS.
Don't believe that that DEI product is internally diode protected so it will can all the
NEG 24 pin plug and lock/unlock outputs.It blows the output driver which controls them all.
Seen it happen here 2 years ago AFTER I told the guy to use diodes, he cooked the above circuits.
I wormed the answer out of him that he didn't listen!
spadz93 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2017 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote spadz93
howie ll wrote:
200 volts on the back EMF, use a 1N4004, it's enough and it's the most readily available.
An alternative is to place the diode between 85 and 86, band to 86.
When a relay shuts down, it can send that 200 volts back to your RS.
Don't believe that that DEI product is internally diode protected so it will can all the
NEG 24 pin plug and lock/unlock outputs.It blows the output driver which controls them all.
Seen it happen here 2 years ago AFTER I told the guy to use diodes, he cooked the above circuits.
I wormed the answer out of him that he didn't listen!
Quite positive those are the ones I have more of, so that works out perfectly. I'll make sure to include that in my pre-install bench wiring

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic