the12volt.com spacer
icon

12V Relay Not Triggering

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
julio225 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2017 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote julio225
Windows and roof is not plugged.
I tried to extend lock time on door. It's the same but longer ^^
It's the main problem, when i hit lock or unlock, the wires are not strong enough to go to ground, it goes from 12 to 11.8V only.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2017 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
They are more than strong enough if 500 milliamp. The older stuff was 120 milliamp and more than adequate, I did loads of them in my time, never needed a relay you've either got the wrong wires or burnt out the lock/unlock circuits on the Viper, the relays needed diodes by the way non or incorrect use would fry those circuits.
julio225 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2017 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote julio225
Hello guys,
So i've bought theh TIP42C transistor.
New problem, when i connect the wire from the alarm, it directly triggers the relay without using the remote. :-(
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 20, 2017 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Looking at the transistor so you can see the writing on the face of it, legs facing down, you do have alarm wire connected to the left leg, the middle leg grounded, or the tab of the transistor mounted to the chassis of the vehicle, and the right leg going to the relay?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 20, 2017 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Do you have an incandescent test light? If so, connect to power and probe the wire that comes from the alarm, does it light up?
julio225 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2017 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote julio225
yes it's how i wired the transistor. I started with middle leg to ground, then right leg to relay and as soon as i touch the left leg with the wire alarm, it triggers the relay.
I don't have incandescent test light but a multitester, i'll tell you what it says but i'm sure it will be 0 as the relay triggers.
Thx for taking the time to help me :-)
julio225 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2017 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote julio225
http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Transistor-switch-circuit.php
Mayble i could try this way ? Base would be wire from alarm, emitter would be ground and collector would be door lock. With that i wouldn't even need a relay no ?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2017 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Still not working your initial attempt probably fried the lock/unlock circuits, test them first.
Done loads of these neither transistors nor relays are needed.
julio225 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2017 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote julio225
I agree with you Howie its probably fried.
But i still get a little signal so i'm sure there is a workarround
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2017 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Program aux 1 for timed output, works with arm and connects to vehicle lock wire.
Program aux 2 for pulsed output output works with disarm connects to unlock.
Alternative, factory alarm arm to lock.
Disarm to unlock.
Test any before using, see if 0V, do NOT connect a relay!
Trouble is I think all those outputs are controlled by the same internal
power transistor.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic