icon

Sound seems to fade

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wrenchmnky 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

While driving home at night my bass and Highs seem like they are not as loud.  I have some ideas I am going to check out tomorrow.  The 2 big ones are, 1. I am going to check my output from my alt. and 2.  I need to know how or where I can get my HU bench tested.  Am I going in the right direction with this?  Any help would be great.

Thanks

Very Simple:94 Chevy Silverado ext cab with, kdc322 head unit, kdcc719 disc changer, kenwood x689 excelon 3way 6x9's in rear, alpine 4x6 2way in dash, mtx thunderform sub under rear seat.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
You said "at night". Are your headlights dimming excessively when the bass hits? What do you have in your system right now (model numbers, wire gauges, etc...)
The alternator is a good place to start. Are you still running stock (if so what's your car?). What type of battery do you have right now? You may need to upgrade it as well.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
wrenchmnky 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

this is what i have:  kdc322 head unit, kdcc719 disc changer, pioneer 200w 2 way 6x9 in rear, alpine 4x6 2way in dash, mtx thunderform sub under rear seat. the mtx has 8 gauge  for the power and ground.  everything else is hooked into the factory wiring by way of an adapter. it is all in a 94 silverado ext cab.

the lights do not dim. the alt is stock and the battery is a stock replacement everstart from walmart.  its been in there for about 6 months the alt is about 2 years old.

the problem i have been having seems to go a way after i have pulled into the driveway and have sat for about 5 min and then i will turn on the hu and everything sounds normal again.  what do you think of a cap for it.  i don't think i am pulling that much for one but who knows.  the hu is 50 watts peak (22 watts rms) x 4 channels the mtx is the only amp/sub in the system and is rated at 200 watt.

let me know what you think.  thanks again
Very Simple:94 Chevy Silverado ext cab with, kdc322 head unit, kdcc719 disc changer, kenwood x689 excelon 3way 6x9's in rear, alpine 4x6 2way in dash, mtx thunderform sub under rear seat.
LittleBill 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

no don't need a cap ur not nearly running enough wattage, my question would be if its fading out do the subs fade with it or do they stay just as strong, if its still strong play the radio and feel the back off it when it seems to fade, it seems to me the deck might be overheating and losing some of its power

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
If you're sitting for 5 minutes with the engine idleing then your rechargeing the battery. When you turn the system back on the battery has a better charge you get more juice to the stereo, hence it's louder then when the battery has a lesser charge. When your sitting in your driveway, do you turn everything but the car off (headlights, radar detector, A/C, etc..)? Because it's starting to sound like the alternator can't keep up with everything electrical in your truck plus the stereo. That would explain why the stereo reverts to the battery when the alternator doesn't produce enough, and would cause a battery drain, which points to a possible faulty alternator.
Caps are mainly used in SQ cars for voltage regulation. If your bass stays strong then it's more than likely a problem with the headunit. If the bass from the sub is fading as well then you may need a better battery (like an Optima Redtop or something similiar) and/or a better alternator. But I don't think you'll need a larger output alternator if your amp is only pulling 200 watts.
I'm hesitant to suggest a second battery setup yet because I'm not sure that will fix your problem. If the alternator is bad then it would need to be replaced before anything else. You can go to your local auto parts store and most will test your alternator and battery for free. Get that done and post the results.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wrenchmnky 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Squirrel,  I will do that but it will have to wait till the weekend.  I will let you know as soon as I can.  Thanks again.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
No prob. And make sure they test the alternator and battery more than once. Have them test it with nothing on in the truck, then have them load test it with normal things turned on (lights, A/C, heater, etc), then have them load test it with the stereo on.
I found that part out the hard way before. Took them 4 tries before they finally realized the alternator was shot!
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
LittleBill 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
uh u don't even use ur battery when ur car is running, go start ur car and throw ur battery out it will run fine, without the battery, battery is only used to start the car, an or play the stero while the car is not running

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic