the12volt.com spacer
icon

S2000 w 5901 Parking Light issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kc_703 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2018 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kc_703
Hello,
New to the forums, but have visited many times for research.
Trying to get my car (S2000) through inspection... the front parking lights (and side markers) won't turn on and won't flash when arming/disarming. Replaced the bulbs, checked/replaced the fuse for the parking lights, so now I think its the 5901.
Looking online, the parking lights look to be the white/brown and white on the left side harness. This is a 2005 S2K purchased in 2006, so it would be DEI's wiring scheme circa 2006-2007... if that matters.
A few questions:
Is there a fuse inside the 5901?
Or is this a wiring issue?
If I splice those wires together, bypassing the 5901, will the parking lights work?
Thanks in advance, just need a band-aid to get through inspection... Hope someone on the forums can help.
Appreciate any help, in advance!
Ken
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 13, 2018 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Check the bulbs.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2018 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Do the lights work normally?
If so check the white wire from the 5901.
Yes there should either be a fuse or a jumper from the lights
If they don't work normally, check feed to light switch then check factory fuses first.
kc_703 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2018 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kc_703
Thanks for the replies.
I've checked / changed the vehicle (factory) fuse and changed the bulbs.
The parking lights don't work normally. Before they stopped working (last summer), I noticed they were flickering. They did the same thing before one of the cold spells here in VA.
I'm hoping its the fuse in the control unit... tracing back to the switch sounds like even more of a PITA.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2018 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Just to clarify, do none of the parking lights work? I was under the impression the issue was only with the front parking lights.
The reason I suggested checking the bulbs is because this diagram shows the fronts and the rears are wired in parallel, however the rears are LED:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=115592
One of the most likely causes would simply be burned out bulbs. Other things to check would be the voltage across the connector, as well as dirty, corroded, or loose wire terminals. Also check there are no breaks in the red/black wire that feeds the front lights. You could also check the grounds.
If none of the parking lights work, you say you've already replaced the fuse. Verify the fuse is good with a meter. It's not often, but occasionally you can run across one that looks good, but has no continuity. Also check the tail light relay, which is common to the parking lights. Does it fit snugly/ is it properly seated? If it's the same size, you may be able to just swap it with the horn relay or a relay for some other lights to test for proper operation. Do you have power to the the relay coil? When you turn on the switch, do you get a ground to the coil? If not, check the combination switch.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2018 at 3:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Also with a meter please check the voltage at the lights, as for the rest, X2 with Geepherder.
Did you put LED bulbs in at the front perchance?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic