the12volt.com spacer
icon

Latching Relay Diagram 32/33 alternatives

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
delmag tech 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2018 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote delmag tech
Hi Guys. I'm here because my searching let me to the awesome list of different relay diagrams here. 32 or 33 may be the only way to accomplish my goal.
I need to be able to toggle a 12V relay on and off with one momentary button. The button can easily be wired to supply power or ground. Diagrams 32 or 33 would work, but the description says I'm better off with a single latching relay. Well, I've searched a lot, and every latching relay I can find either needs two momentary buttons, or it needs the polarity reversed to differentiate between set/reset.
I thought I found my answer with the Altronix RBR1224. I found it, drew a schematic, and thought I was ready to order. Then it occurred to me that I was making an assumption about it, and upon emailing Altronix, I got the news I was hoping not to hear. I need this impulse relay to unlatch when power is removed. They tell me that their unit; if it's latched and in use, and power is removed and reintroduced, the unit will power back up in the state it was last in.
Long story short, I'm putting secondary OD unit in a hot rod. The cars shifter has two switches, one that closes in both Park and Neutral, and another that closes in Reverse. I intend to use those two switches (in conjunction with relays) to prevent my OD from receiving power while in P,R, or N. This part is pretty easy. However, I'd like to set it up so that if the car is placed in N,R,P, not only does the OD power off, but when it's pulled back into D, the unit will remain off until called upon with the momentary switch again.
I found another thread here that spoke of Wolsten Tech's products. They make a latching relay, and I've emailed them to ask if it unlatches when powered down. We shall see.
If you guys see a better way, I'm all ears.
If not, better to use 32 or 33? If 32, can you help me to know exactly which diodes to buy? Aren't they available in many different variations?
Meanwhile, I'm going to start searching for the smallest, cleanest way to mount 8 relays in the car. Thanks!
delmag tech 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2018 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote delmag tech
It turns out that WolstenTech's product will perform just how my application needs it to. Here's what I came up with.
Latching Relay Diagram 32/33 alternatives - Last Post -- posted image.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic