the12volt.com spacer
icon

2004 Ford F250 XL remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nazhunter 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2018 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote nazhunter
Hey there, new to the forum..., looking for some help regarding a remote start for my truck.
I have a 2004, Ford F-250 XL Supercab, 4x4, 5.4L V8 w/a Manual Transmission.
This is a bare bones work truck (manual windows/doors), however, I would like a remote start system and I was looking for some suggestions.
I understand the issue w/a manual transmission, but I would assume that if I kept the emergency brake on and the transmission in Neutral when parked, a remote start system should work for me..., correct? Or, am I wrong in assuming this?
I'm not too concerned about a security system, but if it needs to be part of a security system to make it work, then I guess that's the direction I will need to go in.
Also, I am looking to purchase online, and I don't have the biggest budget to work with simply due to the fact that this is a work truck, so I am looking for any suggestions that you can throw my way.
I hope I've provided enough information, however, if i didn't, please let me know.
Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide...
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2018 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
They do make R/S systems for Manual Transmission vehicles, so if you use that type of unit we can help you.
They are considered safe because there is an elaborate "Reservation" system that must be followed to allow
a remote start-up.
The good news is that you have a gasoline engine and probably no transponder system. If you can by a $1.99
plain metal key at the local hardware store and start the trunk, it does not have the PATS engine immobilizer
system and you do not need a bypass module.
The bad news is that you must do a bit of extra work to install a manual transmission safe R/S system. You
must monitor all the door trigger wires, make a Tach connection & program the R/S to Tach Mode and you
must find a way to properly bypass the clutch pedal interlock switch.
Assuming no transponder system, a decent R/S unit will cost less than $150. Here is a link to a Pictorial
on a truck similar to yours but with an auto trans : https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=133810The
Pictorial does not show the door trigger wires or the clutch bypass. You will need to be handy with a
Digital Multi Meter to locate the door trigger wires and determine the correct way to bypass the clutch
interlock switch. Professional installers do charge a premium for this type of install. I do not have
any info on the door trigger wires ( other than the Dome Light wire ) and no info on the clutch interlock.
Perhap another member can supply that info.
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic