the12volt.com spacer
icon

Harness for 4-headlights, 4-on low, 4-on high

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unfortunately 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2018 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote unfortunately
Hello,
I have a 1989 Toyota LandCruiser, the model with 4 headlights. It's a 24v model (yes, even the headlights), but I don't think that that will affect the design of the harness. Toyota headlights operate on a switched-ground system. I'd like to revers that to switched power. Current configuration is H1 highs and H4 lows. I'd like to build a harness that allows for all 4 lights to be on during low-beam operation and all 4 lights to be on during high beam operation. I have two Bosch 5-pin relays, and a couple of old harnesses from other projects that I can hack up and repurpose here. However, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how to configure the harness and relays to achieve what I'm after. Any chance anyone has an idea of how to do this?
Cheers
unfortunately 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2018 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote unfortunately
Harness for 4-headlights, 4-on low, 4-on high -- posted image.
This is how i've got it imagined. Does that look right?
The lights being installed are LED and can operate in a 9v-32v range. Simplicity and cleanliness of wiring dictates that I'll run them from the balanced 12v fuse block instead of 24v off the high side battery.
unfortunately 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2018 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote unfortunately
I based this off of the diagram here: https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram8.html
unfortunately 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2018 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote unfortunately
Harness for 4-headlights, 4-on low, 4-on high -- posted image.
Updated for cleanliness & efficiency.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2018 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Your diagram looks good to me for switching 12V+ to each light during high and low.
Harness for 4-headlights, 4-on low, 4-on high -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
unfortunately 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2018 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote unfortunately
Thanks for having a look. Now to build the harness and wire it up. I'm not super confident in my electrical skills, I appreciate the extra set of eyes on my diagram.
unfortunately 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2018 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote unfortunately
Thanks again, I got the harness built and my new headlights working as expected. Cheers!
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2018 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
You're welcome. Happy to hear you have it working.
Harness for 4-headlights, 4-on low, 4-on high -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic