icon

Compustar CS800s in 09 Mazda 3, Door Locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shudson72 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2018 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I need some help finishing the install of a compustar cs800 remote starter on an 09 mazda 3. I have everything working fine with the exception of the door lock/unlock with the remote start fob. The car has factory keyless locks but the remote has not worked since i bought the car.
From my research it seems i can use the arm/disarm wires on the car and wont have to use relays but i cant seem to find those two wires. I found the black/blue stripe wire in the drivers door and was able to lock the doors by shorting it to ground but could'nt get any of the wires to unlock any doors by grounding them.
The compustar has two wires for lock/unlock and both are grounds. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2018 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
Same wire through a 1000 ohm resistor to ground.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
shudson72 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2018 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the reply. I tested yesterday with a 1000 ohm resistor but could'nt get it to work. I tapped the black/blue stripe wire and then touched that wire to ground and the doors locked, i then connected the resistor to the end of the same wire and touched it to ground and got no reaction. I did'nt connect either to the lock/unlock wires on the compustar. Since it locked by simply touching it to ground i assumed it would unlock the same way when i attached the resistor to the wire but i got no response at all.
geepherder 
Posted: February 25, 2018 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
If the door locks work from the switch in the door panel, you could back probe and test there. Then just duplicate.
geepherder 
Posted: February 25, 2018 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
After re reading, I realized 1000 ohms is for lock, not unlock. You stated it locks when you touch that wire to ground. Grounding that wire should unlock. What are you using as a ground?
shudson72 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2018 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies. I figured it out a couple hours ago and got the locks working. To help all those that stumble upon this thread looking for help i'll explain what i found to work on my car.
On am 09 Mazda 3 in the drivers kick panel there should be a black wire with a blue stripe, if you touch that wire to ground all doors lock. In the same bundle of wires there should be a black wire with a white stripe, if you touch that wire to ground then all doors unlock. You dont need resistors on either wire. I dont know if the wires are arm/disarm wires or not.
I spliced my compustar lock and unlock wires,which are both negative, into those wires and the locks work as they should with the compustar fob. I have read posts about tapping into the single green wire in the kick panel with both lock/unlock wires from the remote starter box and using a resistor on one of those wires. I have read posts stating you need to use relays also. I can say for certain that on my 09 Mazda 3 4 door with the value touring package there is no need to use relays or resistors as long as the alarm/remote starter being installed has negative output wires for door lock/unlock.
Kreg357 posted a pictorial post on 2007 2008 mazda 3 remote start, i used the same wires in the same location as he shows in his pics on my 09 model and it worked correctly. Most wiring diagrams dont show these wires and Kreg357's post is the only place i found this valuable info. The wiring diagrams should be updated with this information as it allows the door lock connections to be made without relays or resistors and it works perfect.
Thanks for the help and a special thanks to Kreg357
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2018 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Relays are used because the transistorized outputs from most systems, do not give a good ground out at times. Using relays gives the circuit a good reference to ground. I've done hundreds of Mazda and many other vehicles with 1 wire door locks and I always use relays. Being a professional means not taking short cuts that may cause an issue. I've see it happen on many Mazda's when someone doesn't use relays, the door locks may not work correctly at times and upset the customer. Some systems also have polarity reversing outputs and if you don't use relays, the door locks won't work. Relays only cost a few dollars and prevent comebacks. That is why they are recommended.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic