icon

Hey Guys, Need some help installing a Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rico777 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

Here's the deal,  I have 2002 Toyota Corolla.  I'm going to install a sub and an amp.  I have a Rockford Fosgate RFR3110 and a JBL BP600.1.  What I need help with is the sub box.  I don't know much about sub boxes.  So here are my questions.

1. Should I build or buy?

2. I assume sealed is what I want?

3. What volume should it be?

4. Does the trunk need to be ported into the cab?

5. Where should the sub be installed? (close to the back seat, facing the back seat??)

Thanks very much if you can help me!!

Rico

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
there is many ways to build a box. tip a ported box volume needs to be much higher and the box ends up being bigger. a sealed box is smaller and easier to build . when you buy the speaker you will be giving a data sheet that tells you what are the optimal sizes of boxes that the speaker will work best in. what kind of car is this. a truck, pickup. van, a truck like a chevy tahoe. what?/
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
Rico777 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
It's a small car with a trunk.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
than you can build a single bax either with the speker facing down. to the floor or the speaker fasing back of car.
if you build the box with the speaker fasing down towards the ground you will have to make a normal square, and after you install the speaker you will have to make a lift that covers all four corners of box and keep the front of the speaker from hitting the bottom of trunk this style will produce more bass. that what you will get with the speakers fasing the back of trunk and if you have the speakers fasing front of car that your loosing a whole lot. not that elevation has to be open and only like 2.5 inches from front of speaker to the bottom of trunk want a pic sure emeial me and iw ill show you want i am talking about. i will take pic tomorrow though.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
With the JBL BP600.1 you would have been better off getting the RFD2110 (Punch HX2) instead, and could have saved a few bucks. Your RFR3110 is a 1000RMS sub that you're only feeding 600 watts. It may sound decient, but you would have gotten better sound from either using the RFD2110 and BP600.1 or the RFR3110 and a BP1200.1 (which pushes 1200 watts x 1). You should always try and match the sub's and the amp's RMS ratings for optimal performance and sound.
Make sure you wire the sub like this for 1ohm (since the BP600.1 is 1ohm stable) and best performance...
Hey Guys, Need some help installing a Sub -- posted image.
Here's the specs from RF...
Sealed Enclosure
0.63 cu. ft.
Ported Enclosure
1.75 cu. ft.
Three ports at 3"x16.5" each for the proper tuning frequency
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Rico777 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

I got a good "deal" on that sub, and I wanted an amp that wasn't too big.  I don't want to have to buy a new alternator or anything like that.

Thanks for the help!

Rico

kidshamrock_200 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

1. Should I build or buy? IF you not familier with building just buy a box. Also stay away from Q logic, we use to sell them and they are aweful. They leak, and they have cardboared ports and all the effort goes into the looks not the product.

2. I assume sealed is what I want? Sealed is a great all around sounding box, ported will give you more bass and play louder but will not be as accurate when it comes to over all range. You can still get a lot of good bass out of a sealed box.

3. What volume should it be? As close as possible to factory specs. They usually give you a general range of what the sub works best in. When you go out of that range your sub wont die but may not have the same power handling and capabilities that its rated at.

4. Does the trunk need to be ported into the cab?   No. If you throw down the back seat it will play louder but it will still sound fine with the back seat up.

5. Where should the sub be installed? (close to the back seat, facing the back seat??) I would go with it against the back seat firing towards the trunk 99.99% of the time it will always play louder that away.

PAIN Hz
Rico777 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for answering my questions!
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

I HIGHLY recommend you take a look at this PDF file.  It's RF's manual for the HX2 subs and it has a lot of helpful information.

Key thing to note here is that they specify a sealed box volume for the 10" Power HX2 of 0.625 cu. ft.;  unlike the other models though, they do not show any range of possible volumes, they just show that single one as being THE optimal volume; I'm guessing they expect you to build a box that is almost exactly that size--no bigger, no smaller.  You do not need to use the dimensions they give you, just remember the 0.625 cu. ft. part and go to the12volt.com's own enclosure calculator and plug in some numbers to see what gets you closest to 0.625.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Rico777 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  

Do I have to consider the speakers displacement when calculating the box size?

Ex. Would I take the 0.625 and add the 0.115 to get 0.740??????

I'm going to have someone build me the box this weekend ,so if someone could let me know that would be great.

Thanks much,

Rico

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic