the12volt.com spacer
icon

Polarity Reversing Switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
yacob454 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2018 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote yacob454
I'm hooking up some climate controlled seats in my vehicle and need some assistance with the wiring. They use a TED (thermo electric device) that when power applied one way is heat and reversed is cooled. And has a separate fan blower that requires one way power. My question is how do I wire up a rocker switch (3 position) to power relays or two separate push button switches (heat/cool) to activate relays to apply power to the TED and reverse it when another switch is pressed. I've attachedba basic picture of what I'm working with. Thank you in advance for your help.
Hello
yacob454 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2018 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote yacob454
Polarity Reversing Switch -- posted image.
Hello
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2018 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
You can do it with a DPDT (on-off-on) switch plus a 12V relay as shown. This will require 4 wires to run to the seat.
or you can replace the relay with a bridge rectifier connected across the TE module to power the fan. That would only require 2 wires to run to each seat.Polarity Reversing Switch -- posted image.
yacob454 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2018 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote yacob454
Thank you very much for your help and providing me with the drawing! But forgive my ignorance, as I do not quite understand the drawing and what the figures mean.
Hello
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 13, 2018 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
The following is assuming that the fan is supposed to turn with both heating and cooling.
This will take 3 relays, a single pole double throw on=off-on toggle switch and 2 diodes.
The 2 relays for the heaters wired as follows. Relay 1 Ground terminal 87a and 85. Positive voltage to terminal 87. 86 to the outside terminal of the switch. 30 to one of the legs of the heater/cooler.
Relay 2 Ground to 87a and 85. positive voltage to 87. 86 to the other outside terminal of the switch. 30 to the other leg of the heater/cooler.
Apply positive voltage to the center terminal of the switch. On the outside terminals of the switch you also need to attach the non banded end of a diode to each. Connect the 2 banded ends of those diodes together. Connect that junction to terminal 86 of the 3rd relay.
Remaining wiring for the 3rd relay. Ground to 85. Positive voltage to 30. Fan's positive wire to 87. Ground the ground connection of the fan.
yacob454 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2018 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote yacob454
Does this method apply power in one switch direction and when the switch is positioned the other direction does it reverse the polarity to the TED but not the fan?
Hello
yacob454 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2018 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote yacob454
EGURU, does your diagram turn the fan on in both switch positions and off while in the center? Also, what is KI? And what is the NO "gate" above the fan? Thanks again man
Hello
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2018 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Hi Yacob,
Sorry that this drawing is not clear - I am using the conventions used in electrical schematics versus the confusing (to me) semi-pictorial way that this forum uses to depict relays, etc.
Yes, my circuit does turn on the fan in both positions and off while in the center.
K1 is the relay coil (terminals 85 & 86 in the terms this forum uses).
"NO" is the relay's normally open contact (terminals 30 and 87 in the forum terms of reference).
You can replace the relay with a full-wave bridge rectifier (like a KBPC2504 which costs less than $3).
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 14, 2018 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Mine heats in one position, off in the center and cools in the other position. Fan turns in either position other than off.
yacob454 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2018 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote yacob454
Thank you guys very much! I'm gonna give both a shot this weekend!
Hello
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic