the12volt.com spacer
icon

New Member, Been Around Awhile

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blueturbofly 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2018 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blueturbofly
not sure where to put this, new member to the site, but not new to car audio.one of my first set-ups,a pioneer cassette deck, audiovox 320 watt 4 channel amp, 2 ''lear jet'' 6x9's and 2-??? 10 inch house woofers. I know, I was only 13 at the time, my first car (Datsun 310 hatchback/install- it made more noise than stock, it was loud enough that my parents and neighbors would constantly tell me to turn it down.
fast-forward a few years/vehicles/systems later- every vehicle I owned had some sort of system in it, and brand- learned quickly that you get what you pay for, and if it aint wired right you let the ''magic'' smoke out.
currently- 92 geo metro, sony h/u, infinity mids/highs, hertz d-class 700x1 rms pushing two OLD phoenix gold 12's, sealed-prebuilt crappy box
91 chevy sprint, jvc h/u, pioneer 4-4'' fullrange 2-ways, 500 wrms (joke)amp pushing 2 ANCIENT 10'' sealed soundstreams- those subs are almost 20 years old! custom double wall 3/4 mdf box, drilled/screwed/glued/ 1 cf each sub.
next install I am doing is on a '93 Isuzu trooper rs. need more of a ''stealthy'' install, I don't want a sub box in the cargo area(nor does the wife)
there is a factory compartment under the rear seats. I cut the plastic sides/ bottom out of it, to reveal/open up a MUCH larger area.
I wanted to install a pair of dvc 8'' sounstreams in there, but they are too deep-mounting depth is limited to 4.25 inches, those s/s subs are 5.25 inches. dammit. even other subs are slim pickins'. cant go any bigger in diameter, even an 8'' is a tight fit, diameter wise.
so, I went another route- I ordered 4-6.5'' dvc subs-diameter wise, no problem, depth, no problem. they will be completely hidden when the seats are down, covered with waffle grilles when seats flipped up for more cargo room.
they are rated 300rms/600 watt peak. I have read reviews that a lot of guys run 100wrms to them no problem.
if I wire them vc series/ speakers parallel I will see a 2 ohm load.
I have been looking at a mtx thunder500.1 500wrms d class monoblock to drive the 4 of them.
is that enough power? not looking for booming bass, but something that can be turned up, at times, if needed.
still not sure on a head unit, might get another jvc.
blueturbofly 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2018 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blueturbofly
so, I pulled the trigger on that mtx 500.1. will try the subs ''infinite baffle'' , see how they sound. there *might* be enough room to mount the amp within the subwoofer area.
blueturbofly 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2018 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote blueturbofly
just got the amp the other day, it has a small footprint for its rated 500 wrms @2 ohm. should fit in the same area as the subs.
now to research a headunit. at least one with a 2 volt sub out, but I have my eye on one with front, rear and sub 2 volt pre-outs.
that way I have more room for expansion at a later date.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2018 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Give this a read before buying a 2v pre out unit. http://ddaudio.com/ddownlow/radio-reckoning-look-pre-amp-voltage-claims/

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic