the12volt.com spacer
icon

Which 3rd Party Remote Starter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wiebs2334 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2018 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wiebs2334
I have been looking at getting a remote starter put into my car, but don't want to go the OEM route as Subaru's remote starters all shut off the engine when you open the door. To get around this I had to jimmy rig the door sensor to be always closed, which made the interior lights not turn on when I got in the car. Below are the wants and needs I have, in priority order.
Car Info:
2016 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium
Regular Chip Key (Non-push button)
Needs:
Open door and insert key without shutting off
Very Long Range
Turn on defrosters and seat heaters when remote started (Cold only)
Turn on AC (Hot weather)
Wants:
Crack the windows (Hot weather)
Turn down radio
The four situations I see:
Cold weather start (Defrosters & heated seats)
Mild weather start (Start only)
Hot weather start in safe place (AC & crack windows)
Hot weather start in unsafe place or bad weather (AC only)
Ideally there would be a way to have it tell the outside temp from the cars thermometer and turn on heat or AC depending on the situation. Also this would ideally be temps that I could set. I would settle for an AUX button that would do some of these things, and then I would just decide if its cold or hot. I would only want the cracking the windows and turning down the radio functionality if the other "needs" are also possible. Let me know if you have any ideas that would help incorporate as much of this as possible.
Thanks,
Ryan
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2018 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
turn down the radio, yeah thats not gonna happen. as far as the rest just do a viper (can't believe I just said that) get the directed window module (529t) to do the windows and do the aux outputs to do the heated seats and defrost stuff you want. Of course you still have to turn the car off with what ever you wan to turn on as far as ac or heater. You cant just choose at time of start from the remote or even the smart start. Smart start will give you the longest range. It cell so if you have cell coverage and so does your car you can start it anywhere in the world. Of course there is a yearly service fee for that option. Any viper two way remotes are one mile (give or take).
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
wiebs2334 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2018 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wiebs2334
What can the AUX buttons accomplish? Why would they be able to do seat heaters and defrost, but not turn the climate control up or down? Is there any documentation on what can and can't be done? I am thinking one aux to turn the AC on and climate down to minimum, and the other would turn on heated seats, defrosters and climate to max.
I don't really care to pay a yearly fee for the cell service, but 1 mile would be plenty far even a theoretical mile. Also since the windows and radio are just complicating the situation, lets skip those as well. All I care about then is being able to heat or cool my car depending on the weather.
Leaving settings where I want them works great when you remember, but by the time I get to work my car gets too hot, so I turn the climate control back to a normal level, and by the time I get to work I forget, which mostly defeats the purpose, in my opinion. I will try some tests with the "Auto" function on the climate control, but not sure how well that will work, hopefully better than my 2012 Legacy.
Thanks for your help.
Ryan
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 05, 2018 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
The remote start is just there to replicate the car starting, nothing more. it is data being transmitted from the ac/heater controls to a computer telling it what to do not just a simple ground being sent. That is why you have to leave the ac/heater on when you shut the car off, there is just no way you can use the aux button to do anything with turning up/down/on the ac/heater. Aux buttons just put out either a pulsed or latched negative signal. No data is being sent out, that aux wires just goes to ground for a determined amount of time to trigger a defroster or heated seat wire or relay or what ever.
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
wiebs2334 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2018 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wiebs2334
So really just any on/off functionality. Is it able to send multiple signals per aux button or just 1 to 1? Is 4 the max aux functions allowed?
Thanks
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2018 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Please be very careful, I can see by your question and answer that you don't fully understand what mgoetz74 is trying to explain.
No multiple signals per aux just one type being pulsed, latched, timed etc.
You can increase the functions via latching relays controlled via the lock/unlock functions but I don't want to go there, I seem to remember that DEI (Viper) did a function multiplier at one time.
Radio function, two ways, either don't connect ACC or relay to open radio ACC feed if other circuits are also on the ACC.
wiebs2334 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2018 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wiebs2334
howie ll wrote:
Please be very careful, I can see by your question and answer that you don't fully understand what mgoetz74 is trying to explain.
No multiple signals per aux just one type being pulsed, latched, timed etc.
Which is why i asked the follow up.... Btw not doing the install myself just need to know what my options are. Thanks for you're help everyone.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2018 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
wiebs2334 wrote:
don't want to go the OEM route as Subaru's remote starters all shut off the engine when you open the door. To get around this I jimmied the door sensor...
Is your Subaru a MANUAL TRANSMISSION? If = yes, you were bypassing a very important safety feature required for having a remote start in a manual trans car. Aftermarket manual trans systems have the same safety provisions. Some installers won't even do a manual trans car install because of the liability. If your car is a manual trans, you should re-think and discuss what you want to do with a qualified installer.
wiebs2334 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2018 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wiebs2334
Nope automatic... lol.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic