the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2017 Ford Transit Alarm/Remote Start Choices?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kc8flb 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2018 at 4:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kc8flb
Hi, I just picked up a 2017 Ford full size transit van for our family. It has the factory remote keyless entry on the keys but does not have factory PATS or security of and kind (commercial vehicle). Does not have push button start.
Looked into the factory options but it appears I would need two separate systems (alarm and remote start)
Could you please recommend a durable Quality alarm/remote start combo? We keep our vehicles for a long time and am planning on keeping this one 10 years+. So something that lasts and I can probably get replacement remotes in the future when the originals break/get lost would be helpful.
We don't see ourselves needing any features like cellphone control. Just looking for good range, potentially two stage unlock if possible (drivers door/all doors), trunk (rear door) pop, shock/impact sensor and audible alarm with remote start.
I am planning on installing myself, used to be an installer 20 years ago. I am planning to solder/heat shrink every connection that I can. DEI was the way to go back then, but I have no idea now.
Thanks for any suggestions and have a great day
kc8flb 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2018 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kc8flb
I have been looking at alarms/remote start combinations and looks like the Viper 5806V should work perfectly
https://www.viper.com/car/securityremotestart/product/5806v/viper-led-2-way-security-and-remote-start-system
any comments on the quality of this unit?
Should I go with something other than DEI?
Thanks and have a great day
atomykhd 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2018 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atomykhd
There's nothing wrong with that unit at all. And DEI is still one of the industry leaders. Be sure to have some diodes on hand (2 for keysense/accessory; 6 if you are doing park lights).
I would consider using a data module to monitor your entry points, as Ford's use N.C. door triggers. The other option would be to monitor dome light for entry, as long as it doesn't stay on after arming the system.
kc8flb 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2018 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kc8flb
Thanks for the helpful information
I have also run into another snag.
I want to use the Ford keypad on the door to unlock/lock which should also disarm/arm the alarm. The Ford OEM alarms and remote starts are made by code alarm and have a arm and disarm input on the units for this specific purpose.
It looks like the DEI units do not have these inputs.
Is there anyway to make the DEI units arm/disarm with the factory door keypads or the factory remotes?
If not could you suggest a unit that does this? If I buy the OEM units it looks like I need two separate units, remote start and then alarm.
Thanks!
atomykhd 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2018 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote atomykhd
You will definitely want to use a data module in that case. It will monitor the OEM system, and send the arm/disarm to the Viper unit. If you choose to stick with DEI, you will be looking for a DB3.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic