the12volt.com spacer
icon

2017 Hyundai Elantra Headlight Switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wayne353 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wayne353
I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra base model, and I want to know if I can replace the headlight switch with one that has automatic headlights. It already has the sunsensor in the dash. I have done this before on a Ford that did not have auto headlights and the switch just plugged in with no extra wiring because the wiring was already there from the factory. Most car companies use only one wiring harness for one model. Please let me know if this will work as I do not have access to a wiring diagram for this car.
Thanks for any help
Wayne
wayne353 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wayne353
This 2017 Elantra has just the regular ignition key.
Wayne
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2018 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
Many Hyundai's already have an auto light feature. With the car running, turn ON the headlights. When you shut the car off and then open the driver's door, the lights will shut off. They will come on if needed automatically as long as the headlight switch stays on. Try this and see if it works.
sparky
wayne353 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2018 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wayne353
No this doesn't work. You have to turn on the headlights at night and when you shut off the car you have to turn them off. I want to replace the switch but I want to know if any one has access to a wiring diagram that they could send me a copy of the headlight circuit so I can tell if the car is wired for this. I know most other manufacturers use only one wiring harness for one model regardless if it's a base model or the top of the line
Wayne
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2018 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
wayne353 wrote:
No this doesn't work. You have to turn on the headlights at night and when you shut off the car you have to turn them off. I want to replace the switch but I want to know if any one has access to a wiring diagram that they could send me a copy of the headlight circuit so I can tell if the car is wired for this. I know most other manufacturers use only one wiring harness for one model regardless if it's a base model or the top of the line
Most car manufacturers use wiring harnesses that support only the factory installed options. No unused wires or even unused pins in the connectors.
"Universal" wire harnesses are mostly a thing of the past.
wayne353 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2018 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wayne353
That's not true with most car manufacturers. That becomes very costly. I know because I use to work for the largest car company in the world They would make one wiring harness to fit multiply cars because this would save a lot of money because they sell cars all over the world. Does anyone have a copy of a headlight wiring diagram for a 2017 Hyundai Elantra GT
Wayne
hagar 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2018 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote hagar
True, most cars will have a universal harness , however the bcm will need reprogramming to add new hardware.
wayne353 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2018 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wayne353
Look I just looking for the wiring diagram and I will figure it out myself. The last cars I did this too did not require and further work just a part upgrade and they all worked
Wayne

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic