the12volt.com spacer
icon

CANBus Wiring, 2016 Harley Davidson

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cbzdel 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2018 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cbzdel
This is probably not the correct place but I was hoping someone could help me out. I own a 2016 Harley Davidson Sportster which has a CANBus wiring system. I want to reroute some of the wiring and in doing so much of the wiring will be a lot longer than it should be. Can I cut, shorten and re-solder a CANBus wiring harness? I really don't know much about these systems, but my understand is that it uses different voltages to send signals. If I shortened a wire could this throw off the signal?? I am just thinking ok a wire has so much resistance and if its shorter that's less resistance so could that pose a problem?? I posted my question on a Harley Forum and I only got one reply and the user also agreed with my theory of a shorter wire messing up the signal, but I am just looking for a firm answer on this.
I also started thinking, can it really be that complicated.. If a vehicle was in an accident and some ECU wiring was damaged would they replace the entire harness or would they just repair the damaged area, and if they can get away with repairing the damaged area then maybe its not so much an issue after all? Really I am just rambling at this point.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2018 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
How much longer can you possibly make the wiring on a motorcycle?
Likely less than 50cm would not cause an issue. Shorter won't cause an issue.
However, the connections need to be properly made. Use same gauge wire and soldered connections that are covered with HS tubing.
Do not user any connectors.
cbzdel 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2018 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cbzdel
I will not be making the wires longer at all, I want to shorten them. I will be moving a couple of components which will give me a few inches of slack in the main wire harness which is all of the ECU wiring and such. And rather than have a big bulk of extra wire I would rather just cut it out completely and shorten the wires.
I know shorting the wires for the turn signals and headlights would not be an issue I was just concerned about all of the wiring that is keeping the bike running. So a CANBus system doesn't use resistance in the wire itself, that was really my main concern.
Yes my plan would be to cut, solder, and heatshrink all spliced connections.
annie ilonzeh 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote annie ilonzeh
Sounds like a great plan.
ai

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic