the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to Wire and Amplify 7 Channels + a Subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lee@loudhouse 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2018 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lee@loudhouse
Hey guys I got a car with 7 channels...2 mid woofers with 2 tweeters, 2 full range and 1 center channel(3.5inch in the middle of the dash). The car has a factory amp which I want to bypass and add a new amp. What would be the best way to amplify the 7 channels. There's not many 7 channel amps out there so I was thinking two 4 channel amplifiers but then I have a wasted channel. There is also a factory subwoofer but I'm just using a monoblock amp for the new subs so I really just want to add a amp or amps too the rest of the speakers. ANY IDEAS?
loudhouse
cpalmer 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2018 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cpalmer
You could do a 8 channel and sum 2 together for the 7th channel. You could do a 5 channel and passive crossovers for the front. You could 6 channel and forget about the center because you don't get a whole lot out of that speaker anyway ( IMO ).
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2018 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
What vehicle?
lee@loudhouse 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2018 at 4:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lee@loudhouse
This is for a 2015 Chevy equinox.. I have a 2016 equinox Lt and just used a 4 channel for the doors and mono for subs and did without the center..but this customer does not want too he wants everything. All speakers just amplified nd upgraded.
loudhouse
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2018 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Use front left (+) and front right (-) for the center speaker to get a combined non stereo summed output. Only the frequencies that are common to both left and right will be outputted to the center channel speaker.
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2018 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
lurch228 wrote:
Use front left (+) and front right (-) for the center speaker to get a combined non stereo summed output. Only the frequencies that are common to both left and right will be outputted to the center channel speaker.
Is that safe to do with a Class D amplifier?
It was not a problem when outputs were Class A and the negative speaker terminal was connected to ground.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2018 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
Class D is Digital amplification of a analog signal! The speaker output is still analog, and only when there is a matching output from both channels will the center speaker have a complete connection of + and - output. Typically the negative outputs are connected together.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2018 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Non bridged wires of a any highs amp are essentially at ground. The 2 wires labeled bridge have signal on them. On every bridgeable highs amplifier the negative of one channel is electrically connected to the positive wire of the other channel.
jh1973 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2018 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jh1973
Does your 2016 LT have the 8 speaker premium(UZ8) as the stock system?Also,does it have ANC?
Rumors of Bob but never Bob......So what is it you tell people you do these days Bob?
lee@loudhouse 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lee@loudhouse
8 speaker factory system. Subwoofer, pair of coaxial, pair of mids,pair of tweeters and center channel
loudhouse
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic