the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 3100 Extra Chirps on Disarm Every Time

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rhyolite 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rhyolite
Hi guys,
I recently installed a Viper 3100 alarm (basically same as Avital 3100) and have this strange issue when disarming.
Almost every time I disarm, I get 3 flashes of the lights, and 5 chirps from the siren. I understand this is the normal response if the alarm had been activated. However, I get this just about every time, whether the siren has gone off or not. It's very strange. It will go through rare periods where I get the correct 2 chirps (and even no chirps once in a while) but the above is typical 90% of the time.
The only clue seems to be the led light continuing to flash even after disarming. It flashes once at a time, which I think indicates trunk/sensor 2. Also possibly worthy of mention is the fact my trunk light hasn't worked since the install. Maybe there's some problem with the trunk wiring, not enough to set off the alarm but enough for the unit to think there is some issue and go the extra chirps + flashes and the led report pattern?
Car is a 2000 Honda Integra if it helps.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
The trunk trigger is green (verify with a meter):
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=90795
If you think this is your issue, you can disconnect it and see if the problem continues.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
5 chirps mean the trigger activated three or more times, and went into Nuisance Prevention. So it seems the zone 1 input is grounded at all times. Trunk input (zone 1, 1 flash) is a dk blue wire on a 3100. Disconnect the 3100's blue wire and see if the problem goes away.
Another idea would be open the trunk, then set the alarm. If the alarm now acts normally, the trunk switch is grounded when trunk is closed. The 3100 needs a ground when OPEN. You can invert the signal with a relay if this is the issue.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I should have been more clear. Just to clarify, the green is the color of the wire in the vehicle, not the alarm, and should test as ground only when the trunk is open.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
rhyolite 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2018 at 4:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rhyolite
Thanks very much for that guys.
I had a moment to play around with opening and closing the trunk this evening, but not get under the dash for that green wire. However, things are making more sense now.
Setting the alarm with the trunk open didn't really alter the behaviour, other than giving me an extra chirp a few seconds after arming. Obviously it's recognising the fact it's open.
I think the source of my 5 chirps is a poorly adjusted trunk latch, with the alarm getting variable messages from it even when it looks closed, then going into NP as mentioned above. I also didn't 100% realise I needed to put the key in ignition and turn to On to reset any led flash/chirp behaviour....so the 5 chirps could have been from minimal activations (with no siren for some reason?) but the chirps never went back to 2 because I didn't drive the car or flip the ignition.
So I think it's reasonably okay now. Will 100% check on the weekend when I have more time available. The only dodgy thing I noticed this evening was sometimes I only got one chirp when disarming (or no chirps as mentioned in the initial post). No idea why that would be the case.
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2018 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
rhyolite wrote:
The only dodgy thing I noticed this evening was sometimes I only got one chirp when disarming (or no chirps as mentioned in the initial post). No idea why that would be the case.
Compare the number of light flashes to the number of chirps. The number should be the same.
Look at the LED prior to disarming. It should be flashing. If it is not, the system is already disarmed, and you are actually arming it, hence only one chirp.
Edit/Add: My 3100 does NOT have "Second Unlock" which allows driver door only unlock, then a second push of unlock to do the other doors. But perhaps your 3100 DOES. On DEI's that have Second Unlock, this is programmable. Check your programing instructions to see if this is available on your unit. If it is, and you have inadvertently programmed for second unlock, but don't wire the locks for it, there will be a "dead" button push after unlock. And there is no chirp for second unlock. Instead of a 2-cycle function (arm/disarm) there are 3-cycles: arm (1 chirp)/disarm, driver unlock (2 chirp), passenger unlock (no chirp).
I have a 3100 in my Daily Driver. I have both arm/disarm on the same button, because the other button is passenger-only unlock. I frequently get confused as to the state of the system because I frequently use the door switches to lock the truck, and the fob to unlock it. If I open the passenger door, I trigger the alarm if it's armed. It's easy to confuse myself, so I always look at the LED through the glass, and push buttons as appropriate.
There's some more ideas.
PS: I should have been more clear. I knew Geepherder meant the green wire was the vehicle wire. I meant no disrespect to a 17 year member.
rhyolite 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rhyolite
Thanks davep.
I've been investigating over the last week or so and unfortunately my issues don't appear related to the second unlock. And it's definitely during a disarm command that I'll occasionally only get the single chirp. I've watched it many times now - the lights will flash twice (as they should) and the doors will unlock, but there'll only be a single chirp. I suppose it must be a sporadic connection issue that could probably be solved with multi meter probing?
By the way, is it normal for led flash on a 3100 to be once every second? Is it programmable? I couldn't see anything in the instructions relating to this. Seems a bit excessive. Most other systems I've dealt with and seen in vehicles are more like once every 3 seconds.
Thanks again.
davep. 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
Once a second is about right. Not programmable. Some of the higher end DEI's have a slower rate for the flash after 24 continuous hours. Even if I leave it set for a week, my 3100 is stall about once a second.
Re the chirp. Disable the notification chirps (function #2) altogether and use the light flashes for status check. If you want the chirps for a single cycle, push trunk briefly (so trunk doesn't open) then arm or disarm and the chirps will activate for that cycle only.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic