the12volt.com spacer
icon

99 Chevrolet Suburban VATS

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tylerc82588 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2018 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tylerc82588
Hey All,
I am having a problem with a 99 Suburban starting. There was originally a remote start/bypass installed on the rig. During some mechanical issues, this got removed, however a mechanic also removed the Vats system. The Theft Control Module is missing (just the plug is there hanging), and the harness that goes into the ignition tumbler has been removed. However the vehicle did run like this for about 6 months or so. Then the battery died, and when the guy put a new battery in, it wouldn't start.
Now the vehicle will crank, fire and run for about a second, then stop. I'm not sure what the mechanic did to the vehicle to bypass Vats, but its as though it quit bypassing after the battery died. I checked the fuel pump, and i'm getting tons of fuel, so that is good.
I bought a bypass module: https://www.amazon.com/VATS-PASSkey-Bypass-Module-Painless/dp/B074YZ6XPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527688884&sr=8-1&keywords=vats+bypass however, it calls for the fuel enable wire to be used, and I can't locate that wire on this rig. This vehicle doesn't have a BCM, just a PCM located under the hood. There are no fuel enable wires on the pinouts for this suburban.
I'm hoping someone can help me either locate the fuel enable wire or a wire that I can use to install this bypass. Either that, or point me in the right direction to get things back in order. Since the Vats components were removed, i'd rather not install them back in the vehicle, as it ran fine for about 6 months after removal.
Thanks!
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2018 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I think that bypass will work. It puts out the square wave that the fuel-enable signal needs to be. There is a "fuel enable" wire to the ECM. This wire is also present in the hanging connector where the original VATS module was. I have Factory Service Manuals for the 98 C/K series trucks. The 99 should be the same. Give me a day or two to look it up and post it. There may also be instructions with the module from Painless when you receive it. My guess is that the Painless device is intended to be installed at the module connector.
tylerc82588 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tylerc82588
Thanks davep, that would be great! I did find instructions for the bypass, but none of the wires/pins they mention seem to match. If you are able to tell me what the fuel enable wire is at the theft module plug that would be perfect. I sure appreciate it.
Also here is the link to the manual in case you wanted to take a look: http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/documentation/VATS_Bypass_Module.pdf
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
This isn't a guarantee, but this wire is commonly dark blue.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
tylerc82588 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tylerc82588
Thanks geepherder. Unfortunately there isn’t a dark blue wire in the theft module connector. Nor is there a dark blue wire on the PIN numbers recommended for the PCM. There are two dark blue wires on the red PCM connector but neither are pinned out as fuel enable from what I can tell.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I spent some time in my factory manuals last night. I don't think the 98-99 uses the "fuel enable" wire. I studied the theft module and it appears it communicates with the ECM over the data buss. Same buss as pin-2 in the ALDL. Many remote start bypasses interface at the ALDL pin-2 purple wire. I would suggest take a look at the wiring behind the ALDL and see if you can find any wires that have been interfaced that may lead to the bypass the mechanic installed 6 months ago. The "ALDL" is the diagnostic connector under the dash, I believe on the driver's side.
The ECM's that use the fuel enable square wave signal sre generally older than 1996 when OBD II became mandatory. And Geepherder is correct, the color is dk blue. At least in Corvettes it is.
I'd try to find the bypass the mechanic put in and figure out why it quit working.
tylerc82588 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2018 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tylerc82588
Thanks davep! I really appreciate you checking the manuals for me, and for the additional information. I will do some more wire tracing on it and find the bypass the mechanic used to see if I can go that route.
That does make sense on the fuel enable wire as well because I did find that wire on an older Chevy that I worked on in the past.
Thanks again! I will post back my findings when I get things traced out.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic