icon

Remote Start on Viper 5906

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cornwell2002 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2018 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
So I need some help getting this working. I am replacing my previous remote start system with this Viper 5906. I have everything working fine except the remote start. When activated, it will turn over for a moment then kill itself. I have used the virtual tach, tach wire, and cranking times. Each one does the same thing, it will turn over and sound like it catches then turns off. The shutdown diagnostics says transmitter shutdown.
Any help is appreciated.
Also, the vehicle is a 2002 Nissan Frontier. No bypass is needed on this vehicle.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 04, 2018 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Have you learned the tach? Does this occur with both remotes, or just one?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2018 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
Put a meter or test light on the pink wire (IGN) output from the 5906. Do a Remote Start. Watch the light. Does the light go out, or stay on? If stays on, it is the car. If it goes out, the RS is shutting it down. I agree with geepherder: Have you learned the tach?
cornwell2002 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2018 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
It does happen with both remotes. When I go to learn tach signal, it takes me to programming features. I crank the vehicle with the key then press and hold control button waiting for a constant light, the system chirps for the features, it does not indicate that the tach signal is learned. I have tried this several times with the same ending each time.
I have used a multimeter to test connections. I am getting power at ignition, both starter wires are getting power. I have checked the tach wire and I am getting voltage there when the vehicle is running, around 7v.
geepherder 
Posted: July 06, 2018 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  
That sounds like an internal fault, since the key should be cycled back off to get to programming.
cornwell2002 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2018 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
So possibly a bad unit?
geepherder 
Posted: July 06, 2018 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
It may be. I'm curious- if you touch the white/blue activation wire to ground does it give you the same result? What about if you start it with the key, and press remote start and remove the key?
It likely has nothing to do with the brake or hood inputs, since it shouldn't crank to begin with, but you could always temporarily remove those pins from their harnesses just to be sure.
You mentioned trying virtual tach and hardwiring. Have you verified your tach source varies with engine speed? Have you tried a different source (fuel injector)? How about voltage sensing?
While it's not recommended, you could turn off engine checking. I think if your tach wire is connected, it stays in tach mode, so you may need to disconnect it.
Also, I've done this to malfunctioning units before with some success: unplug the main harness and short the constant and ground pins with a jumper, a piece of wire, a paper clip, etc. Sometimes units will behave afterwards.
Now try again.
Failing all of this, I'd say you have a faulty unit.
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,424
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2018 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
Did you connect the second starter wire ?
If you use a meter and measure the ing,acc wires does the truck act the same way using the key as it does the remote start ?
I always power the ingition the same way the key does so maybe you missed a wire ?
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2018 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
when you say you crank the vehicle with the key are you actually starting the vehicle and letting it run 10-15 seconds then pushing and holding the programming button? Try starting the truck with the key and hit the sequence for the remote start. see what it does. Sound to me like what chevy104275 said with the second starter wire. Stop using test light on 1999 and up vehicles,even computer safe ones!!!! Remote Start on Viper 5906 -- posted image.
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
cornwell2002 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2018 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the help. It ended up that I crossed the ignition wire with the starter 2 wire.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic