the12volt.com spacer
icon

Compustar CM7000 & FT-ELock Relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mr.longfellow 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2018 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mr.longfellow
1998 Toyota Camry
Compustar CM7000
I just wanted to clarify some things with my next install with some of you guys or those that are familiar with Compustar and or Firstech products.
Out of the box my relay is setup as the following
87- Yellow/white (I removed pin/and wire, not being used)
87a- Yellow/Black
86- blue
85- green
30- Yellow
On the wiring Schematic that came with the alarm has me confused, not sure if relay was wired incorrectly when assembled or if there is an error in the schematics.
It says that blue wire (really a blue/white wire) from CN5 pin#1 GWA should wired to the blue wire on the relay. In the schematic it shows pin 85 as the blue wire but I have the green wire here.
Then it’s shows pin 86 at the relay, green wire should be wired to the green ignition wire from the alarm. However on my relay the blue wire is here.
Not sure if i should just simply de-pin the relay and swap the blue and green wires.
Link to master installation pdf
https://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/COMPUSTAR/CM7000_Full_Install_V3_15_2016.pdf
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2018 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
If there is no diode across 85 and 86, they are interchangeable. It should work either way.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
mechengnr 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2019 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechengnr
I have the same issue on my relay as well. Along with that the yellow and yellow/black are swapped. A close look at the wiring diagram shows the yellow on blade 87a, and yellow/black on 30. The relay I have has the yellow on 30, and yellow/black on 87a. Should I swap them so I’m not confused. I don’t want to wire up the relay wrong, if in fact, the wires are wrong on the plug.
geepherder 
Posted: January 06, 2019 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
If this is just a starter kill, then 87 is not used and you can connect it either way. Just make sure the starter output from the remote start goes to the starter side.
While it's not required, you can swap them so it's not confusing.
mechengnr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2019 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechengnr
It’s a starter kill and anti grind. I want to hook it up with the anti jacking option as well. With this option, it says to wire the relay to the ignition instead of starter. So, do you cut the ignition wire and wire one side to switch, and the other to the starter side? Wires the same as starter wire, only you’re using ignition instead?
mechengnr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2019 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechengnr
I done some further reading in the anti-jacking feature. I guess it’s a good idea in theory, but, evidently if the relay ever goes bad, it could leave you stranded as it is attached to the ignition. So, some say it’s not worth it. Any thoughts?
geepherder 
Posted: January 07, 2019 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Many shops/installers won't do that for the reason you listed/liability.
I've done it before with success (only on my own car). If you decide you want to do this, consider interrupting a low current wire such as the trigger for the fuel pump relay. The car may even start initially, since there's still some fuel in the system. This will make it harder for a thief to troubleshoot. It will be reliable as long as your connections are solid. I prefer to use open-barrel splice connectors rather than solder (so as not to make the wire brittle/more prone to breaking). If you're worried about a failing relay, you can easily throw some spares in the glove box (or make a jumper wire with two male tabs to pull the relay and bypass it). Put your relay in a hidden spot that only you know about that's still easily accessible. You could even install a hidden toggle switch so you can choose to deactivate the ignition kill.
mechengnr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2019 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mechengnr
I thought about the fuel system as well. If I ever had an issue, I would know where the relay was and could bypass it if need be. The starter kill/ anti-Grind may suffice. The rest may be more trouble than it’s worth. Thank you for your input!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic