icon

Installing Nissan Stereo In Antique Car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sonoman1 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2018 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Nissan 28185 3RA2A I would like to install in the glove box of an antique car. I know, it's a low-end stereo but I am just looking for a basic AM/FM/CD/Aux with digital tuner to replace a 40 year old analog-tune Pioneer cassette deck that is all dried out. I am limited in height and want a simple, clean look.
I have the Nissan 28185 3RA2A stereo and a Scosche "Nissan reverse car stereo connector" adapter for power and speaker wiring.
When connected to 12V, ground, speakers, and antenna, it won't power up
- What is the third connector (middle) on the back of the radio?
- I have not installed a non-factory radio in years...now they are called "head units". Does this require an external amplifier or additional components?
- Any thoughts on why it won't power up? DMM shows it is getting power to the power wire and it has a good ground.
thanks
sonoman1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2018 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Following up on after the Forum Rules prompt,
- the donor car was a 2013 Nissan Sentra, the radio is a 28185-3RA2A stereo and it was sold as not needing any codes
- the target car is a 1966 Mustang. No IC's in the car
I am just looking for a simple AM/FM/CD/Aux installation to replace the old stereo
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
You should have 2 power wires. One is constant, the other is switched with the key.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sonoman1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2018 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hi geepherder,
Do both power wires need to be hot? I assume I wire one or the other, but not both. Is that correct? Or do I need to put power on both simultaneously? The red wire on the Schosche NN04RB adapter is "12V ignition switched" and the yellow wire is "12V battery/constant.
I am tied up the rest of today so I cannot get back to it until tomorrow morning
thanks
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2018 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, both wires need to be connected. The red needs to be connected to a 12V+ accessory source (on/off with the key) and the yellow needs to be connected to a 12V+ constant source (battery).
Installing Nissan Stereo In Antique Car -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
sonoman1 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2018 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Connected both wires. I forgot about the clock needing constant power
Works great now. Thanks for the tip!
have a great weekend

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic