the12volt.com spacer
icon

Kenwood GPS Antenna Metal Plate

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Agdodge4x4 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2018 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Agdodge4x4
What does this metal plate do? The install directions say to mount the metal plate to the dash and the gps antenna to the plate. Does the metal plate serve any purpose other than giving the antenna something to stick to? I ask because My dash is a bit wierd and it would look cleaner to just mount the antenna directly to the dash.
Does the metal plate serve any other purpose?
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2018 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Agdodge4x4
Actually, it would be best to mount this antenna IN the dash somewhere and keep it out of site altogether.
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2018 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
I mount my GPS antenna inside the dash - as far forward as possible and without any metal brackets being over the top.
The metal plate is not required. Use double-sided tape, Velcro, ty-wrap, etc to fasten it.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2018 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
The metal plate helps to shield the GPS antenna from electrical interference below it. You can mount the antenna under the top surface of the dash so long as there is no metal above it and not next to a speaker magnet. Ideally mount it towards the center of the dash and as far forward as possible. This allows it to have a better view of the sky (satellites) and it won't be blocked by the vehicle's metal roof or A pillars. Loop the excess antenna cable in a circular loop about 5 inches in diameter.
sparky
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2018 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
GPS antennas are already very immune from interference.
A metal plate below the receiver could potentially block some EMI but only if it was grounded.
The devices are also very immune to magnetic fields.
The GPS in your mobile is extremely close to RF and magnetic fields and yet works perfectly.
So, don't worry that much about placement other than being aware of which side is up and avoid having metal above the antenna within cone of about 60 degrees
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2018 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Agdodge4x4
Thanks for all the great info! I’ll prpbably try it out but I can’t get it far toward the front unless I go ON the dash. I’ll test it out. If 60* cone is the reception area then I can work with it.
Stupid question....why does this unit even HAVE a gps antenna? The unit is not a Nav receiver but does handle CarPlay. I guess I thought CarPlay was just a mirroring setup and the phone gps pushes all the info through.
Why does the HU have its own gps antenna?
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2018 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Agdodge4x4 wrote:
Thanks for all the great info! I’ll prpbably try it out but I can’t get it far toward the front unless I go ON the dash. I’ll test it out. If 60* cone is the reception area then I can work with it.
Stupid question....why does this unit even HAVE a gps antenna? The unit is not a Nav receiver but does handle CarPlay. I guess I thought CarPlay was just a mirroring setup and the phone gps pushes all the info through.
Why does the HU have its own gps antenna?
What model is the HU?
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2018 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Agdodge4x4
ddx9094s
eguru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2018 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
Agdodge4x4 wrote:
ddx9094s
Are you sure it isn't a DDX9904S?
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2018 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Agdodge4x4
Yes, you are correct. I fat fingered the number and did not catch it. I’m sorry.
Also couldn’t find a spot inside the dahs that is much further forward than the actual head unit. The antenna will also not be exactly flat or level.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic