the12volt.com spacer
icon

Gate Opener Wiring with 4 Buttons

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wombat74 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2018 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wombat74
Good Afternoon 12 Volters. Im sucking up my ego and asking an embarrassingly basic question..    Ive got a auto opening gate system on the drive that has not worked since I bought the house. Ive found that the solar charging and battery system are in good shape. The electric piston works but the electronics board is toast and some one has pulled the wires from the conduits.
This is not for security, its for ease of not having to get out of the truck in the rain to open the gate.
My theory is that I drive up to the gate and push a button on a post and the gate opens. When it is fully open, the gate contacts a switch and the motor stops. Drive through the gate, hit another button and the gate closes.    
This would have 4 buttons at the entrance. 2 for coming in the drive and 2 for leaving the drive.
I know there's an infinite amount of things that can be incorporated into these systems but Id like to keep it as simple as possible. (Short of calling a gate guy to come and do it for me)
Relays, switches, wire size and type etc. what do I need?
All advice is appreciated.
Thanks
I know enough to know that I don't know enough
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 10, 2018 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
If you do this without a control board you will have to hold the button until the gate opens completely. And then until it closes completely. If you are fine with this it will be very easy.
If you want to just press the button and have it open and close without you holding the switch, this will require a timer but still easy.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 10, 2018 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram4.html
2 Single Pole Double Throw 12 volt relays.
4 momentary push button Normally Open switches.
18 gauge wire from switches to the relays.
No idea of the current draw of your electric pistons, but I am thinking 10 gauge from relays to actuator. 10 gauge from battery to relays as well.
wombat74 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2018 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wombat74
Thanks for the quick response. I should have classified a little more. My wife will not want to hold the button if it's raining.. It will need a timer or a relay with a limit switch.   
I've been on the school of you tube tonight trying to figure it out. Do you have specifics of what to use for this set up.   
Thanks.
wombat74 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2018 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wombat74
Now I feeling like the idiot...   I didnt see yiur list of parts before my last reply. Thanks for your input.
Ill let you how it works out.
Randall.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 10, 2018 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
You will have to hold the button to do it that way. I am not familiar with the model numbers of the DEI timers. I will try to research them tomorrow.
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 11, 2018 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
I was busy at work today. At the Doctor's office now. Hopefully I can look tonight.
wombat74 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2018 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wombat74
It was a succesfull day! I got a 5 plug relay out of an old car, an old battery operated drill, a marine battery from the gate and a bunch of wires and connectors. I now understand how to hook the piston, the switch and the battery up.
Questions.
How does a limit switch in the gate open position get positioned so it stops automatically
The relay needs power from the switch to actuate the electro magnet, which means that I still need to hold the button down until the gate opens. What system is needed so I can push a button once and the relay stays activated?
Does the limit switch have anything to do with the 87a terminal on the relay?
I hope the Docs was a good visit and nothing too dramatic for you.
eguru 
Copper - Posts: 340
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2018 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote eguru
wombat74 wrote:
It was a succesfull day! I got a 5 plug relay out of an old car, an old battery operated drill, a marine battery from the gate and a bunch of wires and connectors. I now understand how to hook the piston, the switch and the battery up.
Questions.
How does a limit switch in the gate open position get positioned so it stops automatically
The relay needs power from the switch to actuate the electro magnet, which means that I still need to hold the button down until the gate opens. What system is needed so I can push a button once and the relay stays activated?
Does the limit switch have anything to do with the 87a terminal on the relay?
I hope the Docs was a good visit and nothing too dramatic for you.
To allow only a momentary press of the push buttons to cause the relays to latch ON, you can wire a set of normally open contacts from the relay to be in parallel (across) the PB contacts. When you press the button, the relay contacts will close and maintain the feed of power to the coil.
However, we need to cut the power to the motor when the gate is fully open or closed - which is no problem because we can use the normally closed contacts in the limit switch to break the coil circuit. All of which sounds like it is a complete solution except that say with the gate fully open and the LS contacts now open circuit, we can't close the gate as we need to momentarily over-ride the gate open LS until the gate has moved towards close position and is no longer contacting the LS.
Think about that for a while. Perhaps tomorrow, I will have time to sketch something out for you if you still need help.
wombat74 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2018 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wombat74
Would this be simpler?
I found a Bueler adjustable time delay relay. If theres a NC limit switch wired between the power source and the time delay relay, a PB will activate the relay, the relay will open the gate and the limit switch will cut the power to the relay and stop the gate. One of these systems on the open side and the same system on the close side of the circuit.   While the limit switch on the open position of the gate has cut all power to the gate opener, the circuit that closes the gate is fully powered and can close the gate and reset the open side for next time.   
What part of this theory is right or wrong?
How reliable are the timer relays? Seems like a simple mechanism that would last well??
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic