icon

Sub and amp install questions.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
burnedawaycold 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, heres the deal. I have no idea on subs or amps. Well, a bit of both. But I need help here.

I want to buyt the alpine Type-R sub, the 12. Now there are 2 options the 4ohm + 4 ohm, or 2ohm + 2 ohm. Which one would i take. I only want one sub.

Next, amp. My firend directed me toward the JBL 600.1 amp.

Output 4 Ohms: 300W x 1 
Output 2 Ohms: 600W x 1

Would that work well? and how would i got about wiring parallel or series, or no clue what im tlalking about Sub and amp install questions. -- posted image.

completeaudio 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
wiring the dual 4 ohm sub in parallel  (all the pos together and all the neg together) will give you a 2 ohm load.  That what you want... for most output from the amplifier.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Although this amp is 1 ohm stable, its power output does not increase going from 2 to 1 ohm.  Technically you could use either version of the sub and you'd get the same overall power output, but it's better to err on the safe side with the 2ohm load (less likely to make the amp overheat).  So yea stick to Completeaudio's advice and get the 4-ohm DVC sub.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
burnedawaycold 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
um, a pic or something might be VERY helpful. On how to wire amp and sub and all..... i am so clueless!
burnedawaycold 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

ok, i got the parallel fiugured out :-P

and now im stuck on a box. What do i do? buy, make?

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

Unless you're pretty good with power tools such as table saws and jigsaws, I'd recommend just buying the box.  Whichever route you decide to head in, just remember that for this sub the ideal sealed box volume is 0.85 cu. ft., and for a ported/vented enclosure it would be 1.25 cu. ft., with a port 13" long and 4" in diameter.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic