wiring problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
hello AGAIN!..lolz
well i have a prob here, i have a RF 400.S amp with 2 sony xplod 12" subs, yes i know they're crap..but anyways, i had them wired in bridged series, so i had an 8ohm load on the amp, for less stress for the amp, i re-wired my subs in bridged parallel, for a 2ohm load, trouble is that i have 10 gauge wiring to the amp and such, with a 40amp fuse, well needless to say that i have blown the fuse and now i have to get a new fuse...what's the trouble here and what do i do! plese respond back soon!! thanx
Tim
completeaudio 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2003 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

do youhave the speakers bridged on the amplifier??  if you running a 2ohm total load bridged... then that is why you keep blowing the fuse.  the mim impendence bridged is 4ohm... are your speakers single 4 ohm coils?  if so you can just one them up to each channel without bridging the amp and you should be fine... refer to your owners manual for detail.

bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
     You should also get rid of that 10gauge and get at least an 8gauge power wire. 
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
hey,
yes my subs are hooked up bridge to my amp, and yes they're single voice coil 4ohm, but if i just do 1 sub to each channel, that will be wired in stereo and in 4ohm which is not what i want..the manual says that i can get 2ohm load, but thats wiring each sub to each channel..how the heck do i get a 2ohm load to my subs by wiring them singly to each channel of the amp btw my amp is a 2 channel amp. plus i was wondering if i can go to a 4 gauge wiring with a bigger fuse, maybe hopefully that would solve the prob
completeaudio 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

with your current setup you can only achieve the following loads:

4ohm per channel (this would be the optimum way to connect)

if you series your subs together and bridge them you will have an 8 ohm load... this is two high and the output will be weak. 

if you parallel the subs then bridge your amplifier you will have a 2 ohm load... the amplifier is not made to run bridged at that low of an impendence... this will cause problems like: overheating... blowing fuses or even amp damage. 

your only solution is to purchase dual 4 ohm speakers to achieve a 2 ohm load per chann.

look at the jl audio wiring tutorials for more wiring information

www.jlaudio.com

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
The amp is 2ohm Stereo stable, not 2ohm mono stable. You can either run at 4ohms Stereo, or do like what was mentioned above and buy two 4ohm DVC's (each sub wired in parallel) and run them to individual channels for a 2ohm Stereo load.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
ShLeY_wOb 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2003 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
I figured out the problem to my situation. it was the amp I had 2 amps a little good one and a big old sh*tty one and i didnt wanna fuk up the good one so the first time i hooked it up i hooked it up ground first then i hooked it up positive and it sparked so i just assumed that it was my wiring not the amp. thatnx for assistance
AsH

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic