the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Remote Start Fun, 1995 Lexus GS300

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deaner_gs300 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2018 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote deaner_gs300
Hey guys, this is my first full year on the 12V forum and I'm noticing that there are currently a ton of "remote start..." type thread's on here. Is that common for this time of year? Like when it starts getting cold you see more remote start questions?... Ok so I do have a question though.
I have a 1995 Lexus GS300 that I use for my daily driver for commuting to and from work etc.. With this vehicle being 23 years old is it recommended that I add a remote start? I don't have any issues starting really other than occasionally having to try it twice for whatever reason. Usually it's just because I let off the key early or something but I am honestly just curious. I would love to have one on this car and I can put it in myself as I know this car's electrical system upside down and backwards.
Is there a good reliable remote start module that's fairly inexpensive and user friendly? I imagine they're all about the same but some are likely just more fluff than I need. I honestly just need the remote start... I should get an aftermarket alarm but I'm still needing to get the door locks all working correctly first and I need a new switch panel for the drivers door as I think there's a burned up a leg on the PCB for some reason.
Thanks in advance for anything CONSTRUCTIVE!! The12V Rocks!
Alpine CDE172BT - Infinity PR6500CS 6.5's - Zapco ST2X SQ - SSA Evil-6.5's Mid-bass - Zapco ST2X SQ - Sundown SD3 12" D4 - VFL Comp 2K... 1995 Lexus GS300 - The Frankenstein build & it changes weekly.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2018 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Might need some more info...
Define inexpensive? Your car does not need a bypass module so that will save you about $50.
What type of range do you need?
If you want a basic R/S with keyless entry system here are a few thoughts.
The Compustar CS800-s is out of production now but it is a good system that can handle your cars needs.
The range is about 800 feet but the remotes are pretty solid. It is user friendly and pretty easy to
program. Figure around $45
If you want a bit more range in a currently produced unit, try the Prestige APS57Z. User friendly
and around $65. The APS57E is the same thing with defferent remotes for a little less.
For around $85, you can get a Compustar CS4900-s the will give you 3,000 feet of range plus one
of the two supplied remotes is 2-way, giving command confirmation. A nice system and DIYer
friendly.
The sky is the limit from there. One mile range, three mile range, color display remotes, alarm systems....
The car being 23 years old only means you have to be careful with any plastic panels you remove.
The wires should be in decent shape. The car looks pretty easy to do with available wires for
all of the necessary R/S functions. No extra relays needed and with the right system you could
even get the Rear Defogger to come on. A nice upgrade to a reliable car.
Soldering is fun!
deaner_gs300 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2018 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote deaner_gs300
That is an awesome list of products. In fact I'll probably write them all down and start shopping! I guess I was expecting it to be a little more but of course last time I worked somewhere installing them it was at a car audio place that catered to the affluent members of the community and they did typically take some sort of interface to get them to wire up around the ignition and security features you speak of!
Thanks for the recommendation. I am noticing lots of Chinese knock off type electronics and I'm always scared I might end up trusting a dealer and find out they are selling Shanghai's biggest disappointment as quality product. Thanks again, this is more than enough to ensure I get what I am going for.
Alpine CDE172BT - Infinity PR6500CS 6.5's - Zapco ST2X SQ - SSA Evil-6.5's Mid-bass - Zapco ST2X SQ - Sundown SD3 12" D4 - VFL Comp 2K... 1995 Lexus GS300 - The Frankenstein build & it changes weekly.
deaner_gs300 
Posted: November 28, 2018 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote deaner_gs300
Kreg357 you nailed it too! These old panels are as delicate as a bar of cold Hershey's chocolate! I was putting a lens on one of the personal lights in the back window area and when I was manhandling it like has basically been instructed since day one the plastic broke right under my fingers! And this was a place where I was not expecting that at all. Seems like all the panels have gone to pot.
I really wish there was some way of fixing or replacing these pieces with something more sturdy. I think that is what keeps cars of the last few decades from being so likely to be considered a classic or restoration worthy. If all you have are more brittle old 25 or 30 year old brittle plastic restoration becomes remanufacturing basically. Remaking pieces better than original, and then you ask what's so special about that p.o.s. old brittle arse plastic car.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic