icon

Sony Xplod Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
graemesimpson 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

Please please help.  I have a Kenwood head unit, going to sony XM-444 4Ch Amp.  Everytime I try and set any gain the AMP trips out (Currently set to Min), if I try Front to Rear fade on the Head it trips the Amp.  Speakers are Sony Xplod.  Powercable is 8 Gauge.

Should the amp get hot.  After two or three tracks at good vol the amp is very hot, can touch it no problem and it wont burn but is still very hot....New to all this so don't really know any difference.

ANY help would really really be appreciated. 

P.S What cable size would you recommend for the Earth Cable to Amp ??

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
no this is not good how many speakers are on this amp., what is the inputs of the amp set to there should be two sets of rca going to the amp one for front and one for rear. ... for an interior amp 8 guage is ok. so it s not power. you have to check the ohm load from each speaker wire connected to the amp it should be around ohms. that good opperating ohm rating for sony amps. make sure all speaker wires are not pinched and that the possitive and neggative wires are correct in corraspondance with the speaker and the amp.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
graemesimpson 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

I have FOUR Speakers on this Amp (2R = 2F), they are NOT wired through the rca but through the High Pass End. 

With regards to checking the Speaker + and - that could be a problem as my son used all the same colour cable and has taken his markers off.

The other thing I never mentioned is that the Earth Cable goes from the Amp to the Battery neg, a run of approx 3M, I have just read that this is a big no no.

Also both High pass filter and low pass filter are turned off (as per Sony Instructions)

demeanor 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
to check the polarity of the speakers you could take a battery (C, or D, or even a 9 VOLT) and touch the speaker terminals, keep in mind which one is the positive and which is the negative...when you connect them the speaker cone should pop outward if wired correctly (+ -> + and - -> -). don't keep them connected for more than a second or two...you only need to check which way it moves. as for the GRND (earth) cable...make it as short as possible. make sure that the amp is completely isolated from touching chasis grnd.(the screws that are securing the amp to the car) and have the negative cable going into the amp come from the chasis of the vehicle ( a good grounding point, bolt, weld if you have to but make sure it's propperly grounded.
then if the problem persists...different trouble shooting methods will be taken into consideration.
good luck and reply to let us know how everything turned out.
It's better to ask a "STUPID" question...than to know a "STUPID" answer. :-)
graemesimpson 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  

Given me lots to try, looking for the speaker pop is going to be a nightmare due to the speaker locations, have to strip the fron door panels, etc so its going to have to wait for a good day (not many in UK).

So I will dump the 3M earth run direct to battery and ground to a max of 18inches within the amp.

What difference would there be to using the RCA Inputs as opposed to the High Pass method, bear in mind I am very new to this and I do not have the best of hearing.

Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic