the12volt.com spacer
icon

Pairing a New Autostart Transmitter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rmotlyintrested 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2019 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rmotlyintrested
Hi. With the help of this site, I installed an Autostart two way remote start in my 1993 Ranger about two years ago. It's been fine until recently. It now has developed a range problem. I changed the batteries in the fob twice without much change in range. The spare one way fob I have seems to work much better as far as range is concerned. I was able to persuade a store to let me try a new transmitter to confirm the solution but I'm not sure I had the programming procedure down right - it didn't take. I understand the procedure using the hood pin but my hood pin is a little rusty and not helping the matter. My antenna has a programming assist button. I turn the key on and push the button twice. The antenna light stays on constant. But what do I do next? Do I turn the key off and then on and off again, press lock and wait for five flashes? Or press lock while the antenna light is on the first time without turning the key? I know the remote I tried, although similar, may not be compatible with my system/antenna. But I just wanted to make sure I have the procedure correct in the first place. The install manual is not quite clear on this. Thanks for any help..
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2019 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
If you haven't seen this video, just skip to 7:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95zQR3cFIvE
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
rmotlyintrested 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2019 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rmotlyintrested
Thanks. I did look at that video last night but it looks like he is just grounding out the hood pin wire. I can probably clean my hood pin and/or use a jumper to make it work but it's fairly cold here right now and I thought if I could use the antenna programming assist button I could just use that. Just need clarification on the procedure. Using the hood pin method, the system goes into programming mode with the key off but using the antenna button, the system goes into programming mode with the key on, and that is what is confusing me.
specs 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2019 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote specs
Hello rmotly.....have used quite a few of these autostarts over the years. You are correct in using the programming button on the antenna to learn a new remote. Turn ignition key to the on position, press antenna button twice for one second each time....antenna led comes on solid. Turn key off, then on and off again....press and hold the lock button on the remote you want to pair, until you get 5 quick parking light flashes. Remote is now paired.....hope this helps! Al
silvercivicsir 
Copper - Posts: 406
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2019 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote silvercivicsir
Yup you can use the PAB button, just make sure to ground the hood pin 1st.
rmotlyintrested 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2019 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rmotlyintrested
Thanks. I'll try that procedure when I get another fob to try again. I'd rather use the PAB on the antenna. The PAB on the module is harder to access right now, plus the hood pin is resisting grounding out right now.. And the store that sold me the whole remote start kit for $139 two years ago wants to sell me just a fob for $189! I'm trying to find a used one. Canadian Tire has a whole Prostart kit on sale for $99. The fob in it looks like mine (5 button led) but I don't know if it would be compatible with my system/antenna.
specs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2019 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote specs
Do you know what model of AutoStart you currently have installed? Al
rmotlyintrested 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2019 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rmotlyintrested
I think it's an AS 2371 TW, if I remember correctly.
specs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2019 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote specs
Take a look on lockdownsecuritycanada.ca...these guys carry replacement remotes for a lot of different systems, AutoStart included. I know in the past I've paired newer remotes with that 2371TW FM model as I used these in a couple of the kids' vehicles. Specifically have a look at the AS385LED remote....listed as being compatible with your starter, Al.
rmotlyintrested 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2019 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rmotlyintrested
Thanks. I've heard that the AS385LED would work but wasn't sure. Looks like my original one is discontinued. The new car dealership I work for has some of the 385LED's on order. If no one responds to my Kijiji ad I will probably go with the 385.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic