icon

amplifier and crossover choices

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I have a fairly simple system currently. I want to boost it up a bit by adding some tweeters, adding an amp and implementing a three-way crossover for the fronts (sony 6.5 3-ways..50 watts rms), tweets (35 watts rms) and 10" sub (200 rms). The new amp would be for the fronts. I've looked into both a Hifonics NX400 (100 watts rms x 2) and a lightning audio bolt 150.2 (50 watts x 2) for potentials for this. The hifonics both boasts a higher wattage (for future power needs and versatility) and less THD, but I've rarely heard of this brand before. As for the LA bolt amp, I'm not sure if this is a very good choice for reasonable SQ. And for the Crossover, I'd love to get the AudioControl 3xs, but its a bit out of my price range. Any suggestions?
ull3030 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
IMO Ligtning Bolt is not a good choice mostly for use on the high end.  HiFonics is a well known company that has been around for many years.  There amps are a lot cleaner and more reliable.  Power from the God's
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
How much are you looking to spend?
hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2003 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
I've decided to go with an Alpine MRP-T220 (50 watts x 2) for the amp. Alpine has also been around awhile and have been well known for quality products. It was a bit more than the lightning audio, but I feel worth it. As for my crossover budget, I'm looking for a 3-way model that has at least a 18db/octave slope. I could get the Audio Control 4XS for around $170, but I was hoping to spend only around $130 for a good crossover. The shop I went to also had a profile three-way, but I felt it wasn't a good compromise to the Audio Control. I might just save up for a bit and get the 4XS. But I'm looking for alternatives.
And thanks for the replies, guys.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic