the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How To Keep Auto Lamps Off Until Engine Started?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
webpager 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2019 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote webpager
I've had a few customers who have aftermarket projectors or they have simply added HID bulbs. No common denominators - vehicle brands, parts OEMs, etc. All of them are experiencing, often, the need to restart the lamps after starting the car. They come on when the key hits the run position, go off at the start position, but then only 1 will light (or both will be dark) when the vehicle is started. They all have their headlights on auto lamps. I know that my cars are all on auto. The area here has well lit roads and I used to often find myself without headlights after dark. They have all asked me to delay their auto lamps until the car was started or it was not in park.
On 2 of the cars it was simple as they are CANbus. One of the two recognizes when it is in park, and the other had a programming option to turn headlights on and off at park. The other vehicles are older, with just OBDII. No park sense / park kill like a newer vehicle or a fleet optioned vehicle.
I know that the solution might be different for different vehicles, but I'm looking for suggestions to keep the auto lamps OFF until the engine is running (not just key in run position) or it's removed from park, etc.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Webpager - Upfitter, computer guy, car guy. I can't tell the difference between Columbian or African coffee, but I knew at age 4 the difference between volts, watts and ohms.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 11, 2019 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
A couple options would be using an output that's only active while the engine is running (check for a wire at the alternator or the oil pressure switch) to interrupt the headlight wire(s) via a relay. You'd have to do some testing, and may need resistors and transistors for this.
Alternatively, you could use the starter wire to latch power to an interrupt relay:
How To Keep Auto Lamps Off Until Engine Started? -- posted image.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,419
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2019 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote chev104275
You could do something off of the keysense wire. So the headlights won't come on until the key is put into the ingition.
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2019 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
A relay that interrupts the autolights with a signal from GWR or DEI's "status". Will keep the autolights off until key takeover.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2019 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I started to suggest that initially, but there's no mention of remote starts installed. I think the problem is with aftermarket HID's.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2019 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I read it again. You're right. "After starting the car". If it happens a lot, I'd suggest leaving auto lights OFF.
webpager 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2019 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote webpager
You're right, no remote start. And the problem IS with the aftermarket HIDs. But, customers have come to me and I'm hoping to provide a solution for them.
As I'm typing this, I'm going through a dozen other tabs in Chrome. Email is one of them. One of the customers found a time delay relay on Amazon (yeah, most likely cheap stuff) but he suggests we can try that. So I've ordered it. I'll probably tie it in right after the light sensor. While the lamps can come on while the vehicle is off if someone just turns the key to run, I'll set it for a 10 or 15 second delay. The car should be running and no spikes or drops in voltage. I'm pretty sure that they lamps aren't igniting because of starting with low voltage. The relay is only $10 so it won't kill me if it's something else, and it's a lot easier than grabbing a wire from the alternator or oil pressure sensor (I was thinking of the oil sensor before I posted but if the car is on the pressure sensor is hot. And if someone had low pressure, their headlights would flash How To Keep Auto Lamps Off Until Engine Started? -- posted image.
Thank you all.
Webpager - Upfitter, computer guy, car guy. I can't tell the difference between Columbian or African coffee, but I knew at age 4 the difference between volts, watts and ohms.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic