the12volt.com spacer
icon

Error Codes Won’t Stay Away

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shezza 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2019 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote shezza
So here are the 3 trouble codes P0443 P0141 P0135
P0141 O2 Sensor bank 1
P0135 02 Sensor bank 2
P0433 Evaporative emissions system purge control valve circuit.
There is a bit of a sad story behind this.
A friend owns an xc Barina and her heater wasn't working. I offered to check her fuses, they were all good. There were some empty slots which I assumed were for higher models. but she said the mechanic was playing with it recently and on a one in a million chance, I tried moving one of her fuses at random (not knowing what was what) and of course I chose the wrong fuse it seems. I used the fuse labelled (only found out what it was after) "Power control module". I suspect that is what is causing the trouble code, but I have erased them twice now and they keep coming back. I have never heard of pulling a fuse causing a permanent issue. I can not help but think she must have had the light on and not noticed it? Any thoughts?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2019 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
When you say her heater wasn't working, are you referring to no heat out of the vents inside the car or the heater circuits in the oxygen sensors?
P0433 is heated catalyst efficiency below threshold, so all three codes are related. Causes are likely common to both sensors: fuses, relays, wiring harness, PCM, etc.
These are general tests and not vehicle specific.
You may have a relay that powers the oxygen sensor heater circuit, so check for that first. If the horn or starter relay is the same size, you may be able to swap it to make sure it works. You can also feel the top of the relay while someone turns the key on (without starting) while the engine is cool. You should feel a click. Have your helper turn the key off and you should feel another click.
On the oxygen sensors, see if there are two wires of the same color. These are commonly for the heater circuit. If so, with the key in the off position, unplug the sensor and check for resistance across these two wires. Do this on both sensors. Both sensors should give roughly the same reading.
Plug the sensors back in and backprobe the heater wires. On a cold engine, if you turn the key on, you should read 12 volts. Do this on both sensors.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic