the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to Determine OE Relay Rating?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tipsymcstagger 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2019 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tipsymcstagger
I am trying to determine the amperage rating of any of the OE BMW relays.
For example, many BMW's have a mint-green five post SPST relay with two 87 posts. These are often wired into a socket with only four wires (one 87 post not being utilized).
These relays were produced by both Tyco and Siemens. They carry a part # of V23134-K59-X312 (the BMW part number is 6136-8-373-700). Nowhere in the BMW electrical manual (ETK) can I find any specifications for any relay. No Google search of any of those part numbers reveals any specifications.
In searching the Tyco (TE Connectivity) site, I had to dig to find an "alias" part number that ultimately resulted in a cross reference to Tyco internal part number 5-1393304-2. The info on that page says it's a "restricted product" and offers no product specifications.
So my questions is, how does one determine the amp capacity of a given OE 12V relay? And why is this info seemingly so hard to come by?
TIA.
tipsymcstagger 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2019 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tipsymcstagger
1998 BMW 328is Chassis E36
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2019 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
We normally don't have to, we use our own supplied relays. Otherwise we determine amperage capacity by comparing the relay in hand to other common automotive relay form factors. Generally a mini-relay is going to have a 30A rating, and a micro-relay is going to have a 20A rating.
tipsymcstagger 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2019 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tipsymcstagger
That's just the thing; I'm left to "assume" these are 30A relays. This is an engine swap project and I'm attempting to keep it as stock in appearance as possible. I'm utilizing OE BMW relay sockets (rewired for me needs) and I'm trying to utilize the OE relays I have but in different applications. But I'm not certain of their capacity.
In the end, I might need to find an "aftermarket" relay with a known amperage rating, and use these in the BMW sockets. As far as I know, they are "standard" automotive relay sockets.
Thanks.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2019 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Check inside the fuse box cover and see what functions that relay uses. Then check for the fuse rating.
For example, if this relay is used for the rear defroster, and it's rated at 30 amps, you can safely use it up to 30 amps.
I did see it listed as 30 amps a couple places:
https://www.amazon.com/MTC-1841-61-36-8-373-700-Light-5-Prongs/dp/B00BDVLQU8
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/rel-700.htm
*Also important to note is that terminals 30 and 86 are swapped from their conventional places on a standard automotive relay. This means to use a typical relay, you'd need to repin the socket.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic