the12volt.com spacer
icon

Door Pins on 2013 Dodge Challenger with Viper Responder 350 Alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cabron19 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2019 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cabron19
I am installing a Viper Responder 350 alarm on a 2013 Challenger (first time install) and i'm not sure how to handle the door pins. There is only one wire in the harness for negative door pins and I need to know if I just hook that wire up to the door pin wire on either side and that will handle door monitoring for both doors or do I split the one wire into two and hookup to the door pin wires on both sides? If I do need to hookup both sides do I need to isolate the two wires with diodes? Thank you in advance.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2019 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
The door trigger is listed as a purple wire in the driver's kick panel or instrument cluster:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=145479
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
cabron19 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2019 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cabron19
Thank you I understand that but my question is will that purple wire in the driver's kick take care of both doors or do I need to tap into the purple/white wire in the passenger kick as well and if so should I isolate the two with diodes?
Thank you.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2019 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
What bypass are you using? Most take care of door entry monitoring as well as a bunch of other things.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 26, 2019 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
Since it's the only wire listed, it should handle both sides. Verify with a meter.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
geepherder wrote:
Since it's the only wire listed, it should handle both sides.
Don't count on it. If you're attaching to the actual trigger wire there's always going to be at least two (2). Only when you attach to the dome light circuit will it be a single wire.
Modern cars are easier to do with a bypass/interface module. Modern GM's like my Silverado don't have traditional door trigger wires that come inside the cabin. The door ajar triggers are all sent over the data bus so an interface module that connects in with the data bus is the best way to go. The old school work around of opening up all the doors and attaching in to each door ajar trigger is intensely time consuming. The hack work around is just utilizing the dome light circuit but as most know long gone are the days when the dome light turned off immediately when the last door is closed and only turned on with the door.
cabron19 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2019 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cabron19
Well damn now I'm really confused! Like I said this is my first alarm install. Not sure what the "bypass" is all about. I'm not installing a remote start, it's just the alarm. Anyone out there familiar with my particular car?
Thank you to everyone that has answered so far. It's much appreciated.
catback 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2019 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
cabron19 wrote:
Well damn now I'm really confused! Like I said this is my first alarm install. Not sure what the "bypass" is all about. I'm not installing a remote start, it's just the alarm. Anyone out there familiar with my particular car?
Thank you to everyone that has answered so far. It's much appreciated.
To answer your original question, you will need to connect the door pin wire for each side (driver and passenger) to the single door trigger wire on the Viper. They will need to be diode isolated to prevent back feeding. The reason for this is because the driver door trigger is unique to all other door triggers in that it works in conjunction with the key-in-ignition warning chime and the "headlights on" warning chime as well as other unique features that rely on detection of the drivers door being open.
A bypass as you suspect is used to bypass the factory immobilizer when installing a remote start. It also can act as an interface to the vehicles data network and get data such as door ajar triggers, trunk open trigger, hood open trigger, tach signal (for remote start), and control things like factory alarm, door locks, windows, heated seats, power sliding doors, trunk release, etc etc. You can probably gather this would save the installer a tremendous amount of wire connections and time - more so when utilizing a D2D connection between the bypass and the alarm/remote start. Just hook up the bypass to the car and the alarm/remote start to the bypass and instantly you have most of your wiring done.
What I was iterating to with my GM example is that due to manufacturers utilizing the data bus of the car/truck to send signals and controls some things require interfacing with the data bus as there is no longer a dedicated wire for whatever function you want to tap into. It's depends on the car, if a bypass is just convenient, a time saver, or required to get the car function you desire. You seem to have access to the passenger door trigger so you won't need a bypass for that.
cabron19 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2019 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote cabron19
Catback you are a lifesaver!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic