the12volt.com spacer
icon

2011 Kia Rondo Dash Illumination

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unityco 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2019 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote unityco
Hi all!
Over a year ago we replaced our dead OEM stereo with a cheap aftermarket. Since then, we’ve not had dash illumination when the headlights are on (everything’s fine when the headlights are off.) I finally had the chance today to take it all apart again and verify everything with a multi-meter. I was able to discern the illumination wire and the dimmer wire; they were both live and responded as expected. The new car stereo has no place to connect these (only constant, switched, ground and antenna power,) so they’re just capped in the dash. It seems the car doesn’t like this and wants them to go somewhere. No fuses are blown. Any ideas? Thanks!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 01, 2019 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
They do not need to be connected for your dash lights to work. Is there not a dimmer knob somewhere on the dash to control the brightness of the dash lamps?
unityco 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2019 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote unityco
There is, and the voltage on the wire changes when I turn it, but the dash stays dark.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 01, 2019 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Have you removed the cluster to see if they are incandescent lamps or LED? If incandescent check the bulbs. Or either way check voltage across them.
unityco 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2019 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote unityco
I have not, and really hope to avoid that step! Seems we may have to, or live without.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic