icon

adding an aux source

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Topa_1 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2003 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
I am wording if there is a way I could use the aux input on my delco head unit to bring in the sound from my laptop and/or an XM recever in stead of a
FM modual
                            Thanks fot the help
LittleBill 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2003 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
yep u would just need a stereo jack from the laptop then a conveter line that would change the stereo jack to a phono jack and just plug it in
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2003 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

If it's from the laptop you'll probably just need a cable with a 1/8" stereo plug on both ends, because that's the kind of connection laptops use.  What delco head unit do you have?  Does it already have a headphones plug built in to it?

I know for the pioneer fm modulated xm tuners, you can get this adapter and convert its audio output into an RCA type output.  And then obviously you'd just need a y-adapter like littlebill described, to send it to the delco head unit.

For the delphi Sky-Fi units, you can plug in that same 1/8" stereo cable into its fm modulator input connection and get a direct connection, too.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Topa_1 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2003 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
Topa_1 wrote:
I am wording if there is a way I could use the aux input on my delco head unit to bring in the sound from my laptop and/or an XM recever in stead of a
FM modual
                            Thanks fot the help
PS a little more info i want to ust the input on the back of the delco that the factory tape player would use if the truck used one.
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2003 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
What year/model vehicle do you have?  And Does the vehicle have the on-star system in it?
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Topa_1 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2003 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  
Topa_1 wrote:
Topa_1 wrote:
FM modual
                            Thanks fot the help
PS a little more info i want to ust the input on the back of the delco that the factory tape player would use if the truck used one.
PS2 2001 Chevy Silverado no on-star
esmith69 
Posted: June 08, 2003 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
I think they are trying to develop an adapter that would work for your vehicle without needing the cassette unit.  It's my understanding that in order to be able to use the aux. input adapters on pre-2003 vehicles, you have to have a working "Slave" unit like the separate factory cd or tape player, or a factory cd changer.  Like I said for the 03 and up vehicles they have an adapter that does not require a slave unit to be present, but your vehicle is only an 01 model.  Without switching to an aftermarket head unit, the only way to send any external audio into the stereo is gonna be via an fm modulator.
Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic