the12volt.com spacer
icon

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis, Viper 4204, Evo-All

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97f150ext 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2019 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 97f150ext
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis (my personal car), with a Viper 4204 and Evo-All. Viper is installed, and works when the key is in the ignition (door locks, trunk, dome light, etc., all work). For the life of me, I am missing something easy. I cannot get a Evo-All to program to the car. I only have one programmed ignition key.
I am using the Lt Blue and Lt Blue/Black for TX and RX. The install guide shows OEM connector B, but my car has OEM connector C. Wires are connected correctly according to the diagram, but the module will not program. Have attempted multiple modules, so I know I have something wrong. All modules updated through Flash-link 4. Power and ground to the module are good. Ignition wire to the module (yellow wire) tests as ignition, and is tied to ignition output of remote start. TX and RX are tied to vehicle wires as shown for OEM connector C on install diagram.
I'm lost. Just did one of these cars 5 weeks ago, but for some reason I can't finish my own.
Is there a method to test for TX and RX to ensure the diagram is correct?
Honestly, I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm stuck on this... but I'm also growing frustrated.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2019 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Can't remember doing a 2001 Grand Marquis but here is the
info from iDatalink, which is usually very accurate :
TX = White/Lt. Green at Pin 4
RX = Gray/Orange at Pin 3
The connector that you use with the above mentioned wires
is not at the ignition switch but actually 8 inches down the
steering column.   Here is a graphic of the Transponder Plug :
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis, Viper 4204, Evo-All -- posted image.
It should program with just one working key.
Soldering is fun!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2019 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geepherder
I think 1C is a typo. If you scroll up to Crown Victoria in the same manual, it shows 1H under connection.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
silvercivicsir 
Copper - Posts: 400
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2019 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote silvercivicsir
what happens when you try and program the bypass? does the red light come on?
97f150ext 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2019 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 97f150ext
The red LED does illuminate.
After reviewing the information above, I believe I may have the RX and TX wires from the Evo-All reversed. I snapped a quick picture before work this morning, then reviewed once I arrived. I'll post again this afternoon, once I confirm and attempt to correct.
97f150ext 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2019 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 97f150ext
So, I’ confirmed the RX and TX wires were reversed. Swapped, and module programmed just fine. I appreciate the responses. Also, learned that I can access IDatalink for additional reference. Thanks again!
97f150ext 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2019 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote 97f150ext
I've found that connector under the column, and made my connection on the ignition side of that connector. I'll check tomorrow in the day light to see what the wire colors are, and hopefully my mistake will be easily found. Thanks for the reply.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic