the12volt.com spacer
icon

Want to Add a 2nd Amp to Upcoming Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dtnel78 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2019 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dtnel78
Awhile back I bought a 2channel pioneer amp and a underseat subwoofer with enclosure for my 2004 chevy tahoe.
I haven't installed it yet and was thinking about it but then I decided that I'm going to order 2 component speaker sets with separate tweeters and crossovers included as a set.
I have a pioneer deh-6800bt I installed about 5-6yrs ago when the factory radio was crapping out. I do recall it had RCA jack's and maybe a extra other plug or two. We did have to install a bypass module then because of the security.
Now that I want to add the component speaker sets to the 4 doors I'm also wanting to get a amplifier for those speakers as the amp I purchased previously and haven't installed yet was bought to run the single subwoofer.
If I recollect properly it's a 2 channel amp. Can't think of the ohm specs on the amp and sub off the top of my head but we spec'd it properly when we bought the amp and sub.
Yes I probably should've looked into a 4-5ch amp had I visioned this all happening back then.
So with me wanting to run things with 2 amps what is the best recommended wiring method, is there a standard the industry uses in this type of situation?
Should I run cables from the battery for both amps separately or use a larger cable and use a junction box to handle the electrical wiring to each amp location from the junction box?
With the amp that'll be upfront can I get a preformed cable to go from the amp output back up to where the radio is and power the speakers with a adapter for the original speaker wires or run them from the amp directly to each door and run the wiring properly?
Also I'm not looking for a real expensive amp. I've seen some on Amazon for less than 100 but I've also seen a decent priced 4ch one from Blaupunkt and a few other brands for less than $100.
I know back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was in high school they were a decent brand. Will it push a 4 channel setup generally?
I'm also planning on adding a 2nd battery and having it separate via a cutout from the regular vehicle battery so I don't drain the vehicle battery.
I know I have a 140amp alternator currently as I swapped it out and made sure that was the largest when the last one went bad.
What rms rating should I be looking for in a amp and also what should I be looking for speaker output wise as in 150~300 watts or?
Also with the front amp would I benefit from the equalizer and do they make "digital" equalizers with programmable buttons? Back in 80-90s we had to slide the range button up and down to adjust. Figured with technology they have something digital and hopefully reasonably priced?
I'd like to keep it near the $200 range but less than $300 if I have to pony up. This is priced without a equalizer as I can always prewire it out to add it later if I find one and lookup the wiring specs on the mfrs website.
Any help is better than no help.
dtnel78 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2019 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dtnel78
Does anyone look at these forums? Guess I'll have to look for a different website forum for same topic. Normally people respond by now when I've made a couple posts in the past.
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2019 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote wirewise
My guess is many members are traveling, Christmas shopping, spending time with family, and/or watching football. Good luck with your search.
~wirewise~ Verify all wiring with your meter before making any connections!
dtnel78 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2019 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dtnel78
I was thinking that but I had hopes some were holed up at home as I am. I'd imagine Thurs some will pop in here to see what others got for Christmas that they need help with. I'll continue scouring.
Certain things are tough finding information, repair information online for which include ABS, Air Bag control stuff on cars, stuff like I posted for this thread and vehicle security stuff for newer vehicles as well. I know that as I look for people needing answers for security related stuff in reference to vehicle security systems by the mfrs at that level along with coding and other automotive repair information.
Thanks for the reply and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as they roll around your way!
mgoetz74 
Silver - Posts: 424
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2019 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mgoetz74
some of us are also full time installers and going through our busiest time of the year working 50 + hrs a week rate now. If your running 2 amps just do 4 gauge wire to a splitter and call it good, its not like your running 5000 watts so running 0 gauge wire is pointless. Run 4 gauge grounds from the amps to the same point to lessen any noise issues. Second battery is only good for extra key off time and serves no purpose for your install and you would need a battery isolater for that. Most digital eq are gone and the deck does most the eq'ing. You could always get a eq from audio control but most find the 32 band deck eq is sufficient. With only having 2 2 channel amps i would just amp the front speakers and run the rear speakers off the deck, front staging is everything. You can buy speed wire that has all 4 channels in one nice cable (mc918-20) to run from the amp to the back of the head unit.
33 years as a installer now just a retired old guy. Favorite thing to install/topic are remote starts/car alarms. Stop using test lights!!!
dtnel78 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2019 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dtnel78
Very good point. People wanting remote starts, year end dealer sales are higher, kids and adults wanting stereos installed for Christmas presents.
Actuall my plan was to run a 4 channel amp with the component speakers and use supplied crossovers.
The 2 channel amp will be for the subwoofer. I must have mis typed in a previous post.
Now just gotta see if I can find a affordable set off of Amazon, Crutchfield or somewhere.
Thanks for the insight on the isolater.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic