the12volt.com spacer
icon

Power Windows, 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rcuestas28 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2020 at 4:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rcuestas28
Hello,
I have a 2005 Chevy Cavalier (Sedan). My vehicle did not have power windows installed when I bought the vehicle, so I installed aftermarket power windows myself. I pigtailed it with an existing fuse and it functions properly. However, I noticed that my fuse panel has a slot for the power window and it is blank. Is that a slot for a fuse, relay, or circuit breaker? (It's not the normal shape and size of the other fuses, so it's making me wonder.)
The reason why I'm asking is because if it is an available spot for me to wire up the aftermarket power windows, then I would like to do so instead of tapping in to another fuse.
Also, would that blank slot be wired to the BCM, or towards the vehicle battery instead? If it is supposed to be wired to the BCM, where would I find a wiring diagram of the BCM for my vehicle?
Hopefully this explains what I'm looking for. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2020 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lectricguy
The Power Window slot in the fuse panel is for a 25A auto-resetting circuit breaker. One side connects to power when the ignition is "ON" and the other to the power window switches and window motor controllers. There is no connection to the BCM I am aware of.
If you want to use the empty power lead to power your circuit, I would verify with a voltmeter that you have the correct side of the circuit (12V when the ignition key is in the "on" position). Then I would find the wire in the back of the fuse box connected to that terminal, then strip and solder the after market power lead to it. Be sure to properly fuse your circuit, and insulate the connection with high quality electrical tape (such as Scotch 33+).
I hope this helps.
Lectric Guy
rcuestas28 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2020 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rcuestas28
Okay, got it.
Where can I buy this circuit breaker?
rcuestas28 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2020 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rcuestas28
UPDATE TO PREVIOUS REPLY:
In this link, is this the circuit breaker I'm looking for that will fit the slot on my vehicle?
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/littelfuse-4149/accessories-16449/accessories---exterior-16767/exterior-lighting-16612/bulb-flasher-fuse-16457/fuses-16615/circuit-breaker-11443/82402998477b/littelfuse-25-amp-circuit-breaker/mib25/4414364/2005/chevrolet/cavalier?q=circuit+breaker&pos=0#applications
rcuestas28 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2020 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rcuestas28
UPDATE:
This seems to be the correct circuit breaker. Installation and wiring was successful. Thank you for your help!
rcuestas28 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2020 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rcuestas28
I have a 2005 Chevy Cavalier Sedan. The vehicle came with manual windows, so I converted the windows to power windows using an aftermarket power window kit. Now, I would instead like to remove the aftermarket set and just replace the window regulators with new regulators including the motor. My rear windows only roll down half way, and the front windows roll down all the way.
Are the rear window regulators made differently compared to the front since they only roll down halfway? If so, how can I make sure the regulator I purchase is the correct type to replace the existing regulator?
I have attempted to contact the Chevy dealership, and they have not reached back to me. Online websites only offer the front two window regulators, and if they offer the rear, it is either the left or the right rear window regulator. Plus, they don't look different, so I'm just wondering to make sure. I don't want to buy the regulators if they will not be the correct parts. Also, there are so many different brands; which one should I use?
Any useful information is helpful, thank you!
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2020 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote catback
rcuestas28 wrote:
Online websites only offer the front two window regulators, and if they offer the rear, it is either the left or the right rear window regulator. Plus, they don't look different, so I'm just wondering to make sure.
Window Regulators are vehicle and (mostly) door specific. Be sure to get the correct one for your model and particular door application (Front Driver, Front Passenger, Rear Driver, Rear Passenger). Front and Rear may look similar from driver to passenger side but they are mirror images of the other.
rcuestas28 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2020 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rcuestas28
So for installing power windows on four doors, you would need two relays per door, correct?
(One to roll up, then the second to roll down?)
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2020 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote the12volt
Potentially you could with some very basic 3-wire switches, but typically no relays are used or needed when using the appropriate switches. What are you trying to do?
Power Windows, 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
rcuestas28 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2020 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rcuestas28
My vehicle originally had manual windows and I installed an aftermarket power window kit to convert them to power windows. The only issue is that the windows rolled up slow, but they still worked as power windows. So the goal was met, just not as great as I thought it would be. I wired them up to the power window cable on the fuse box that my car already had, too.
I then found out about the actual window regulators that the vehicle would have if it originally came with power windows. So I bought the window regulators with the motors and replaced the aftermarket motors. All four windows roll up way faster, but the speed for the back two are slower than the two in the front. It is still wired to the power window cable at the fuse box.
I believe there is maybe a voltage drop? That is why I am thinking about installing relays. Maybe that would solve my problem? Some diagrams that I've seen show two relays for one switch. (One relay to roll up the window, and a separate relay to roll down the window.)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic